ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (14/27) > >>

wraith808:
* sugar sync - an interesting mix.
-iphigenie (February 25, 2012, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you're trying it out, there's something to be aware of that I covered in my trial of sugarsync.  I'm not sure if they fixed it (they never responded to my queries), but, from the review:

During the uninstall, it stated that "no files would be removed".  [Expletive Deleted]!  They removed *everything* from my machine.

--- End quote ---

Full post of that experience is here.

rgdot:
Thank you iphigenie, great stuff

I know what you mean by specific but FWIW Dropbox's folder location can be changed these days.  I think I am more or less a case #1. The files that I am comfortable putting online are moved to a location (dropbox for example) "manually", I don't use online options as a general purpose backup (everything on my drive)

iphigenie:
If you're trying it out, there's something to be aware of that I covered in my trial of sugarsync.  I'm not sure if they fixed it (they never responded to my queries), but, from the review:
During the uninstall, it stated that "no files would be removed".  [Expletive Deleted]!  They removed *everything* from my machine.

--- End quote ---
Full post of that experience is here.
-wraith808 (February 25, 2012, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
yikes! I'll be very careful should I uninstall it. Hopefully though, 2 years on, they dont have that bug anymore...

One thing that is not in sugarsync that was so easy in syncplicity (and is also easy in spideroak) is excluding single files - since the idea on this one is to backup -and when it makes sense sync - settings and files that programs leave all over the place (in Appdata, user folder, programdata or the application's folder) and that often the folder contain many standard (easy to reinstall) files as well as the few files that need to be backed up. It's likely I'll end up using something else as a result, as I end up backing up more files than I need with sugar sync.

Maybe syncplicity will change their plans back to something more reasonable, maybe I'll just increase my plan in spideroak and use that for sync, even with the duplicate upload space it needs. Maybe I'll try a few more...

iphigenie:
Thank you iphigenie, great stuff

I know what you mean by specific but FWIW Dropbox's folder location can be changed these days.  I think I am more or less a case #1. The files that I am comfortable putting online are moved to a location (dropbox for example) "manually", I don't use online options as a general purpose backup (everything on my drive)
-rgdot (February 25, 2012, 10:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, you can put it where you want, which is good. But it's still a "one folder" approach. Works great for files whose location you control, but not for files created by applications where you cannot control the location, or where you just want one file from a folder backed up. And I have a lot of that, the paranoia of backing my settings up (not finding that a crash has lost me configs that I can never rebuild. been there, done that. Still mourn a custom evolved objectbar skin from 8 years ago... yeah, well  :tellme:)

I'd tried putting the files in dropbox and using links, but it's not practical and too easily can go wrong

So I use dropbox for specific work projects and for ourdoings.com

jeromg:
Folks,

There's still something on my mind when I think about backing-up online: security and longevity...

What I mean by longevity is what would happen to my data if, for some unforeseen reason, the company stop its activity.

Any thoughts on this?

CrashPlan really seems a good alternative to my current system (Superflexible + AmazonS3).

Cheers  /jerome

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version