ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (4/27) > >>

mouser:
There is something really important to note about CrashPlan.

You can use the full and powerful application freely to back up encrypted backups to a friend/family PC.

So if like me your goal is to provide a backup solution to protect in case of fire/theft, you could very easily find a friend with the same needs and back up to each other's PCs, at no cost (at least that's my understanding).

Perry Mowbray:
I did this investigation some time ago and ended up with SpiderOak, which I now have paid space with (it does all my documents / development stuff / etc).

It's got lots of other features, but they push security strongly, but I only really use the 'backup' side of it.

Not sure why I moved away from CrashPlan now?

Perry Mowbray:
There is something really important to note about CrashPlan.

You can use the full and powerful application freely to back up encrypted backups to a friend/family PC.

So if like me your goal is to provide a backup solution to protect in case of fire/theft, you could very easily find a friend with the same needs and back up to each other's PCs, at no cost (at least that's my understanding).
-mouser (February 16, 2012, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's true... but they'll need to be very friendly 'cos they'll have a copy of your files :)

mouser:
but they'll need to be very friendly 'cos they'll have a copy of your files
--- End quote ---

encrypted though so they wont be able to read them.  but will they be able to see filenames? that i don't know.

highend01:
Isn't CrashPlan's software a java application?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version