ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (16/27) > >>

app103:
They are not a reseller like BeeCloud that might suffer the same fate as Backify
-app103 (February 16, 2012, 12:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like my prediction was correct. BeeCloud is out of the reseller business and sent all their users an email informing them that all their data will automatically be deleted from LiveDrive on March 13th. Their website also states they are out of the reseller business but will be back as an online backup news site.

I hope nobody here actually paid for their service and if they did, I hope they can get a refund.

Curt:
-well, reply #1 tells that I am one. However, it is certainly not the money that I am concerned about, (those 3 Euro have already been refunded), but the backup - at the moment I have no machine to restore to!

No panic, I still  have more than a week ;-)

berry:
Interesting thread with a lot of excellent contributions. Having similar needs I followed it until it "died"? :)

Did you ever pick a solution?

cheers

barney:
Did you ever pick a solution?
-berry (March 12, 2012, 12:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Methinks the question should be, "Is there a solution?"  ;)

Not to be utterly defeatist, but don't think there is one (1).  Twould seem that each situation requiring a backup solution is unique, thus requiring a unique solution.  It doesn't seem there is a currently extant universal solution (damn it :mad:!).

mouser:
I'm still using the CrashPlan trial but I cannot bring myself to commit to it because it's sitting here in the tray using 250mb of ram(!)

The CrashPlan developers seem at a complete loss as to how to prevent their application from going on a rampage consuming memory.  They know it's happening because people are complaining on the forum about it, but they can't seem to fix it.

It's a fatal flaw for an otherwise great service.

[As an aside: For those of you programmers who are suspicious of garbage collected languages, this is some ammunition for you, and confirmation of your reluctance to adopt java.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version