ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (12/27) > >>

tranglos:
I get about 38Kbs upstream ...
-Carol Haynes (February 16, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG! I'd go absolutely nuts with that. I guess the UK doesn't plan on getting much on board with SaS and "cloud" do they? Or are those speeds just because of where you're located in the UK?
-40hz (February 16, 2012, 02:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here in Poland I get 0.5 Mbit upstream, and it's as high as the ISP will go. It's a win-win for the ISP. With an asymmetric link, they advertize the higher downlink bandwidth (6 Mbit in my case), conveniently omitting the flip side. And they discourage people from running servers.

That makes all of us very bad bittorrent citizens.

jeromg:
Hi mouser et al.,

I'm jumping in a bit late on this thread... I've been using SuperFlexibleSynchronizer to backup all my files on local USB drives and also online using AmazonS3 for years, I'm a bit paranoid and I used SuperFlexible encryption (zip-based AES 256 bits) for local and online backups.
I'm also using Dropbox and SugarSync as simple, non-secure file sharing systems between my devices (pc, mac, phones, ipad). I'm also using SpiderOak file sync feature to sync a 2Gb-TrueCrypt container of my personal files between my work pc and my main home pc.

Cheers  /jerome

Ambiks:
Hi mouser,

You can try Vembu's online backup service called StoreGrid Cloud. Using StoreGrid cloud you can backup your files/folders and configure disk image backup as well. To know more details about StoreGrid Cloud please refer following URL: https://storegridcloud.vembu.com/

Regards,
Ambika.

mouser:
I am currently trying CrashPlan on my main real pc.  Memory use has been in the 200-300mb range, which is high, but cpu usage is reasonable and i feel like i can spare the memory, so i'm not stressing over it.  We shall see..

mouser:
However I do have to say that, the more i think about it, using 300mb of memory while running in the background, 24hours a day 7 days a week is really obnoxious, and im starting to think that it's unacceptable to me.  Note you can't even exit this 300mb using background service. Really not cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version