ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (11/27) > >>

40hz:
@highend01 - Hi! Since you took the time to comment to my comment on an item by item basis, I thought it would be polite that I make a similar effort to do the same. :)

@40hz

If it take my time to test a new software you can be rest assured that I do it thoroughly :)
-highend01 (February 16, 2012, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Um...I have no way of knowing what you do when you test new software, but I'm glad for you that you're very thorough about it. Proud of you even! But I think you misunderstood my comment. I was simply making a suggestion and entering into some dialog. If you joined in with the intent of giving answers rather than entering into a discussion about solutions, I apologize for not realizing that earlier.

Anything on my C: drive isn't data that should be backup-ed. Why not? I already decided over 20 years
ago that I separate all of my data from the partition, where the os is installed. Apart from that 95%
of my used software is portable and stores it's settings and data on a different drive (and the only
Software that needs to be installed is forced to write everything it wants to save to a different drive as well).
--- End quote ---

I'm also glad of that. This very same topic has been discussed at length in previous DC forum threads. And all of the things you're currently doing are what many of us are also doing, And have been doing for quite a while. But I'd suspect anybody who had some experience with PCs and computers (in my case going back to punched cards) would independently come to realize that too given sufficient interest and time. How does that saying go? Nothing "new" under the sun. Just some things that are "new" to some people.

if you first just let it 'do its thing' to see exactly how long it took - and then logged in to check and see exactly what got backed up.
--- End quote ---

You don't need to. You can see this kind of information before it actually begins the real backup. Look at the last rightmost tabs.
--- End quote ---

Here I think you and I will have to agree to disagree. While it's nice for software to provide such an estimate, I don't ever really trust it until I've run a few real world iterations. Many of these time estimates are little more than marketing ploys. In the case of Backblaze, I'm happy to say they weren't just hype and wishful thinking. They are quite accurate estimates in fact. Unless something happens on your network that causes communication issues. As a personal user you probably don't have to deal with that. But my perspective is more from a server farm and heterogeneous corporate network management perspective, where things can and do go wrong when we least expect despite all due diligence on our part. As a result I test everything under differing scenarios whenever possible before I'll say: "Ok, I'll buy that."

So once the initial mirror takes place, subsequent backups only require a fraction of the original time unless major changes have taken place on your local drive.
--- End quote ---

Delta-backup. Atm it's hard to find reasonable sync/backup providers that DON'T support this technology.
--- End quote ---

Yes. I'm sure many, if not most of us, are also aware of that.  :) But I mentioned it because I suspect most people here aren't familiar with Backblaze so I put it in purely for informational purposes. If I toned down the techspeak, it was because many DC members without a lot of technical background also read these threads. So I usually make it a point to write in plain English as much as possible when I'm here. I've been told my conversation at work and among fellow professionals is virtually unintelligible to a layman. Alphabet soup one client (not in IT) called it.

It also keeps deleted and changed files for up to 30 days - so it also acts as a sort of versioning backup system
--- End quote ---

That's the case, right. The currently used HiDrive account allows me to configure for how long old / deleted versions are kept and these settings can be changed for different folders and users (I use a 5 user account with 500gb of storage).
--- End quote ---

Can't comment. I'm not personally familiar with HiDrive since I've never used it. But if it does what you want the way you want it done that's great. In Mouser's case, what I understood he was looking for was an online storage provider that could handle a very large data collection at a reasonable price. And that bells & whistles weren't needed or wanted since this was just a final fallback in the event of an emergency. So to me the criteria was:

* pure backup - no sharing or other features
* reliable provider
* reasonable cost
* good performance
* basically set & forget
* flexible recovery options in the event a restore was needed.
Backblaze fits that bill quite nicely. And I have direct experience with it so I'm comfortable recommending it.

That's why I suggested Backblaze.

Regarding the huge amount of data that can be backuped with a slow uplink: I'm storing atm 150 GB on my user account at HiDrive. With non throttled upload speed this takes about 18 days (24h/day) if you don't want to pay the extra fee if you send in a hdd.
--- End quote ---

Can't say much to that other than "your mileage may vary." Whatever happens with you, HiDrive, and your connection through your ISP would be for you to talk about. I was only talking about Carbonite and Backblaze.

PS.: I like intelligent software. As long as it let's me reconfigure it's behavior when it does things that I don't want it to do.

--- End quote ---

Me too. Glad we agree on that point! ;)

We're also wandering a bit off topic with this so I'm going to bow out here.

Best! :Thmbsup:

mouser:
On my old computer (which was slow) I set it to use 0% cpu and bandwidth while I was present, which meant it only did it's job when I left the computer for more than 10 minutes.
-Jibz (February 17, 2012, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah but CrashPlanService.exe is using 50-80mb of memory even when it's just sitting in the background doing NOTHING.  I'm not even talking about the desktop application which uses a lot more.  I'm talking about the background process that should be doing nothing (watching for friends who might try to connect?).  Even for me, who usually doesn't worry about such things, that's pretty excessive memory use for a tool that's not doing *anything*.

It may be due to highend's observation that this is a java app..

wraith808:
Just FYI - JungleDisk uses 5MB under the same conditions...

Jibz:
Well, all I can say is that I have never felt any actual impact from it even on my machine with 1 GB of mem. As long as that is the case I am not that bothered by what numbers task manager shows :-[.

Curt:
Livedrive wins PC Pro labs test, gains A-List award – The Official Livedrive Blog
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version