ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (10/27) > >>

mouser:
One thing I'm still struggling with is that this is really my last line of defense, and i already have a backup system to version files right away.  The offline backup does not need to happen so frequently.  That runs counter to the way all of these processes work -- they are always running in the background eating up cpu cycles and bandwidth and uploading changed files.

I can see how that's a wonderful feature if you need it -- but if I only need a once-a-week upload for emergencies, these tools seem like they may be a high price to pay in terms of lost cpu cycles/bandwidth.

Which brings us back to Tranglos' suggestion of just using some existing tool to do an encrypted ftp backup on some schedule of my choosing..

highend01:
@mouser

What's wrong with a rsync backup which doesn't need a client that runs in the background? You decide when the backup takes place (or you can use the task planner). My rsync tasks needs about 2 minutes if there is nothing major to upload.

150gb with about 120k files in 14,5k folders

mouser:
Nothing wrong with rsync, or the ftp-based tools i already have.  But that doesn't address the issue of what online storage provider to use.  You say you use hidrive -- that's outside of my budget.

Jibz:
One thing I'm still struggling with is that this is really my last line of defense, and i already have a backup system to version files right away.  The offline backup does not need to happen so frequently.  That runs counter to the way all of these processes work -- they are always running in the background eating up cpu cycles and bandwidth and uploading changed files.
-mouser (February 17, 2012, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

CrashPlan allows you to set the backup schedule etc. for each backup set -- for instance my image folder is only backed up once a day, while my source folders are backed up every 15 minutes. I know that you can do something similar with SpiderOak -- schedule it to only run every now and then.

On my old computer (which was slow) I set it to use 0% cpu and bandwidth while I was present, which meant it only did it's job when I left the computer for more than 10 minutes.

wraith808:
I can see how that's a wonderful feature if you need it -- but if I only need a once-a-week upload for emergencies, these tools seem like they may be a high price to pay in terms of lost cpu cycles/bandwidth.
-mouser (February 17, 2012, 03:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

With JungleDisk, though the process is running, it doesn't back up until you tell it to- it's not a continuous backup.  I usually set mine to run on Sunday at 3AM or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version