ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help me choose an online backup service

<< < (5/27) > >>

mouser:
Isn't CrashPlan's software a java application?
--- End quote ---
yes, appears to be.

JavaJones' comprehensive review of CrashPlan is here: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=26224.0
I had forgotten about it completely -- it's a great review.

I will say that memory use does appear to be a bit high -- perhaps this is related to the point made by highend above about it being a Java app.

tomos:
JavaJones's review of CrashPlan:
Not-so-mini review of CrashPlan backup software

(mouser got there first)

This would bother me:

The file format it backs up to seems to be proprietary. This is understandable but a frustration for some, and a deal breaker for others.
--- End quote ---

tomos:
Amazon S3 is great for smaller amounts -
I back up my most important backups there using Super Flexible File Synchroniser.

Amazon have online access, or you can use free version of Cloudberry to check out the contents (I keep forgetting to check... :-[ )

highend01:
Java backup applications suck (imho)...

I've tested CrashPlan a year ago and observed equally the same results as in the review of JavaJones. A backup client software that was
awfully slow and used up several hundreds MB of memory. Ridiculous...

ATM I'm using rsync (under windows) :P in conjunction with a hidrive account (www.strato.com)

40hz:
I've got most of our high backup volume clients set up for either Carbonite or Backblaze.

I've been happy with both services.

Everybody knows about Carbonite. Backblaze is a little different in the way it works from most. It's more a continuous mirroring rather than a traditional backup/sync service (although it can be set up to do a scheduled standard backup if you prefer), so definitely visit their website for full details. They'll provide you with a free 15-day trial to see if it works for you. For general backup use I slightly prefer Backblaze. Especially now that they've added support for backing up VMs. Datasheet here. And having the option to have them send a DVD or a drive to restore from is a major plus for me. Sure beats pulling half a terabyte of data down the wire during a major restore.

I'm not too up on what the exact performance is for either of these two services. They're more than fast enough for what we're doing.

Luck. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version