ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SuperFast Shutdown

(1/1)

lanux128:
Does anyone use this program: SuperFast Shutdown?

Have you ever wished there was a faster way to shutdown your Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer system? I mean instantly shut it down! Now you can! Just install Super Fast Shutdown and click on one of the desktop icons created to reboot or shutdown instantly.

Warning: Superfast Shutdown is extremely powerful! Use at your own risk! Although it has never been reported, regular usage could possibly cause disk corruption.-web-site
--- End quote ---

With this app, Windows does shutdown immediately but i'm curious as how it achieves this. From the disk corruption warning, i assume that it bypasses cache writes to the hard-drive but i'd would like to know from others as well. Any ideas on this?

allen:
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown

lanux128:
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown
-allen (March 29, 2006, 09:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

i thought of that too but when i switch on the pc there is no scandisk/chkdsk prompt. maybe the program tells the registry that it's being shutdown normally then pulls the plug... ;)
if only winXP doesn't take ages to shutdown, i wouldn't be wondering about these kind of apps.

allen:
Scandisk doesn't -always- occurr after a crash/improper shutdown.  I think it only happens when it shuts down when something is writing--perhaps that isn't precisely the case, but I know that ScanDisk isn't always triggered when the system goes down abruptly.  Either way, I'm wary of anything that shuts down quickly.  I have a number of apps that save their data when shutting down, skipping that would potentially cause me to lose data.

I don't shutdown/reboot frequently enough to warrant such an application anyway.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version