topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: gaotd - XYplorer 10.80 2/6/12  (Read 8978 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

kunkel321

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: gaotd - XYplorer 10.80 2/6/12
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 11:02 AM »
Have been tinkering with it.  It looks pretty cool.  It has dual-pane functionality, which it didn't in the past.
I'm also an xplorer2 user.  I'd guess that the above (pro) version of XYplorer is more powerful than the Lite version of xplorer2, but the paid (pro) version of x2 is more powerful than the pro version of XY.  Price-wise I think that XY retails for $70 (I don't know what the upgrade policy is).  x2 is $40, but an additional $30 if you want the free lifetime upgrades--hence the prices are similar.    Anyhoo...  Other folks may evaluate the comparisons differently, but no matter which meets your needs better, you can't beat the GAOTD price of $0.   ;)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 01:45 PM »
I strongly recommend anyone who has ever wondered if there was a better way to manipulate and manage files than Windows Explorer to pick this up today & see that there is an easier way to perform any file management tasks that one could imagine.

However, anyone who has delved into the customizability of Total Commander or Directory Opus is not going to satisfied with this one, but these are advanced file managers for the tweakers, perfectionists & OCD-prone who demand the most powerful tool(s) for a job. XYPlorer (and xplorer2) are great intermediate level file managers that will satisfy most, sane people.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04 PM »
After installing on a flash drive and configuring it, have found this version to be a suitable alternative to Powerdesk 7, a file management utility I've used for a long time.  Kind of glad also to no longer patronize Avanquest, marketer of Powerdesk.  

Thing about these GOTD programs though as I'm sure many of you have found, is that they can't be reinstalled after a system trash.  Have also found that the reg codes on some programs have mysteriously vanished due to over-aggressive registry scrubbing; my fault I guess.  Best action, of coarse, is to just buy the program at a discount which is often offered.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:24 PM »
Thing about these GOTD programs though as I'm sure many of you have found, is that they can't be reinstalled after a system trash.  Have also found that the reg codes on some programs have mysteriously vanished due to over-aggressive registry scrubbing; my fault I guess.  Best action, of coarse, is to just buy the program at a discount which is often offered.
-Midnight Rambler (February 06, 2012, 04:04 PM)

+1 Been weary of taking advantage of GOTD offerings

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:25 PM »
Thing about these GOTD programs though as I'm sure many of you have found, is that they can't be reinstalled after a system trash.  Have also found that the reg codes on some programs have mysteriously vanished due to over-aggressive registry scrubbing; my fault I guess.  Best action, of coarse, is to just buy the program at a discount which is often offered.
-Midnight Rambler (February 06, 2012, 04:04 PM)

The XYPlorer that is being given away is portable and nothing is written to the registry except uninstall info, which means once you have installed it, back up the folder and use that to "reinstall" it. The main restriction on the version that is being given away is there are no upgrading privileges. But if you can live with this version as-is, you could get many of years of use from it, across many PCs, until Windows itself progresses to a point where this version is not compatible with the operating system.

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 09:57 AM »
The XYPlorer that is being given away is portable and nothing is written to the registry except uninstall info, which means once you have installed it, back up the folder and use that to "reinstall" it.

Due to the settings in the "startup.ini", the "Xyplorer Appdata folder" is located under your profile folder. (Vista/Win7 issue)
See Xyplorer > "Help > Various Information" for the paths.

So is your XYplorer.ini with the license stored in that appdata folder too.

But you can rename those "startup.ini" to e.g. "startup.ini.txt" and XYplorer will store all settings
under an "Data" sub-folder of the XYplorer main folder (where the XYplorer.exe is)

If you already have configure your XY:
You may want to move the XYplorer-folder from your profile
to the XYplorer main folder (where the XYplorer.exe is) and rename it to "Data". (Or if Data exists already, merge them)

Now XYplorer 10.80 is fully portable and can be copied and used for ever.

Note: of course the data folder must be writeable. This is not true on Vista/Win7 on default installation to Program Files.
But you can copy the now complete XYplorer folder to an partition (or USB Thump-Drive) where you have write access.
Or, if you want to have it still under Program Files, right click the XYplorer folder, chose Properties and Security
and modify the settings to give "MODIFY" rights to the group "USERS". Now this folder is writeable too.

http://www.giveawayo...orer1080/#more-29215
UAC made it necessary to put *by default* the writable part of the configuration to some writable folder,
i.e. under “C:\Users\{myself}\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer”.

However, this default can easily be changed: Open “Startup.ini” (where XYplorer.exe is) and edit the path you see there.
Or simply delete “Startup.ini” in which case the application data path defaults to the subfolder “Data” right under the application folder.
Of course, this folder must be writable. With the latter setup you just copy the application folder with all contents to any stick or whatever
and all your settings travel with you and nothing is written to the host system. 100% portable and stealth.

Don (XY Dev)
Comment by Don — February 6th, 2012 at 5:41 am
-Comment 42

To make it more clear:
The data folder and the XYplorer.ini must be writeable.
If you install XYplorer to default Program Files on Vista/Win7 you are not allowed to write to that folder later when you use XYplorer (Windows issue)
Therefore the setup stores the XYplorer Data -folder to your profile and write that path into the startup.ini, so XYplorer knows where the data and the ini file is stored.

So you have now:
Program Files\XYplorer\
Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe
Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.chm

and so on...
AND
<your profile>\xyz\XYplorer
<your profile>\xyz\XYplorer\Catalogs
<your profile>\xyz\XYplorer\Panes
<your profile>\xyz\XYplorer\Scripts
<your profile>\xyz\XYplorer\XYplorer.ini

and so on...

You can check "Help > Various Information" for the current used paths.

If you delete/rename/modify the startup.ini
you can have all XY data files in an Data sub-folder of your "Program Files\XYplorer\" directory.
For example:
Program Files\XYplorer\
Program Files\XYplorer\Data\Catalogs
Program Files\XYplorer\Data\Panes
Program Files\XYplorer\Data\Scripts
Program Files\XYplorer\Data\XYplorer.ini

Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.exe
Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer.chm

and so on...

XYplorer will create that Data folder and all content for you at next XYplorer start.
But then you have an fresh/virgin setup and you don't have the GOTD license.
Therefore you can do the following:
* delete/rename/modify the startup.ini
* copy the whole "XYplorer" folder from "<your profile>\xyz\" to "Program Files\XYplorer\"
* rename "Program Files\XYplorer\XYplorer"  to  "Program Files\XYplorer\Data"
* Done. Launch XYplorer, do some work, exit with saving, check the modify time stamp
   of the "Program Files\XYplorer\Data\XYplorer.ini", it should be recent.

Now you have all (executable AND Data with ini file) in one single folder which you can copy to any place you want.

Here the same in other words > http://www.xyplorer....faq-topic.php?id=usb

Extra tip: make an ZIP archive from that whole, fresh "Program Files\XYplorer\" folder and store that at an save place for later.

If you have any questions meet us at the XYplorer forum  > http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/index.php
(Please mention that you use the GOTD version, so we can give the right advices.)

Maybe i can answer some questions here too.

But in the XYplorer forum you will find many tips and tricks to get out the most of your new file manager pet, e.g.:
Like a new feature? Say thanks here
Cool Usage Tips (CUT)
Link to an Scripting How-to in the first post

Here is an always growing features list >> http://www.xyplorer.com/features.php
You may also want to take The Tour >>>> http://www.xyplorer.com/tour/index.php
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:04 PM by AbteriX »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Does anyone know if XYPlorer, or any file manager for that matter, can intercept calls to "c:\" out of the run dialog, or other shell events?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 02:44 PM »
Does anyone know if XYPlorer, or any file manager for that matter, can intercept calls to "c:\" out of the run dialog, or other shell events?

Have you tried this? http://www.sevenforu...ger.html#post1313142

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:51 PM »

Directory Opus can be configured to replace Explorer 95-99% of the time it's called by Windows. App103's link is very useful if you want to configure it yourself.