topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mcafee security suite...4 thumbs WAY down  (Read 3934 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mcafee security suite...4 thumbs WAY down
« on: March 29, 2006, 10:53 AM »
My goodness...my mom just got her dell laptop, which comes with Mcafee security suite.  This program is a load of <fill in>.  First of all, if it were mine, I'd just uninstall it and use something really simplistic, like AVG or some poweruser antivirus solution.  But since it came with the computer, and my mom isn't too familiar with computers yet, I figured I'd leave it.  I assumed Mcafee caters to people who don't know much about computers.

But it's a bloated, horrible software.  First of all, it makes you go through these wizards to set it up, which is a pain, because it makes you register and keep passwords and all this crap.  I mean, why do I need a password for virus protection, let alone how confusing this would be to someone who doesn't even know about computers.  It's retarded.  And the whole interface is bloody, bubbly work of trash.  It's like an unorganized webpage with things linking to other pages in an irrational way.  The options are convoluted and nonsense.  I think it's impossible to actually disable components (like the firewall) permanently.  The most you can do is temporarily disable it until reboot.  It won't work with IE7 beta installed.  It's basically a piece of junk.  I hate, I absolutely hate, how the major software companies make a living by putting out this bloated trash, while guys like mouser and some of the developers here write good software for free, or for pretty cheap.

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mcafee security suite...4 thumbs WAY down
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 08:12 PM »
Symantec/Norton AV  :down: :down: :down:
McAffee AV  :down: :down: :down:
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 08:45 PM »
just google for mcafee errors and you'll get a whole lot of case-studies... here's a recent one:down: :down: :down:

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05 PM »
Norton is super annoying too! I install it all the time at work, one of my biggest gripes is that it tries to do a full system scan either during or right after the installation, I don't think it even waits 'til it's updated...

:down: :down: :down:

On the flip side, I have Kaspersky AV, it seems fine. It pretty much sits there, every now and then I see a bubble telling me that's it's updated. It is supposidly very good too.

:up: :up: :up:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 10:07 PM by Hirudin »