topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SuperFast Shutdown  (Read 4310 times)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SuperFast Shutdown
« on: March 29, 2006, 09:01 PM »
Does anyone use this program: SuperFast Shutdown?

Have you ever wished there was a faster way to shutdown your Windows 2000 or Windows XP computer system? I mean instantly shut it down! Now you can! Just install Super Fast Shutdown and click on one of the desktop icons created to reboot or shutdown instantly.

Warning: Superfast Shutdown is extremely powerful! Use at your own risk! Although it has never been reported, regular usage could possibly cause disk corruption.
-web-site

With this app, Windows does shutdown immediately but i'm curious as how it achieves this. From the disk corruption warning, i assume that it bypasses cache writes to the hard-drive but i'd would like to know from others as well. Any ideas on this?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SuperFast Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 09:13 PM »
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 09:24 PM »
From that warning, it makes me think it's about the same thing as unplugging your computer--or hitting the powerbutton when powerbuttons were power cutoff rather than windows>shutdown

i thought of that too but when i switch on the pc there is no scandisk/chkdsk prompt. maybe the program tells the registry that it's being shutdown normally then pulls the plug... ;)
if only winXP doesn't take ages to shutdown, i wouldn't be wondering about these kind of apps.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Scandisk doesn't -always- occurr after a crash/improper shutdown.  I think it only happens when it shuts down when something is writing--perhaps that isn't precisely the case, but I know that ScanDisk isn't always triggered when the system goes down abruptly.  Either way, I'm wary of anything that shuts down quickly.  I have a number of apps that save their data when shutting down, skipping that would potentially cause me to lose data.

I don't shutdown/reboot frequently enough to warrant such an application anyway.