ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReImage: online Windows repair!

<< < (4/22) > >>

Stoic Joker:
We're on the same page ... First line of defense needs to be a bit closer at hand.
-Stoic Joker (February 09, 2012, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

The other thing is the world is full of yahoos who *think* they know how to fix a computer & don't. Oh, they may 'mostly' fix it, but you are going to have troubles down the line.

Bottom line is I know what I'm doing to fix my PC. I don't know what nebulous web site in the cloud is doing to 'fix' my PC...especially if it's in the spirit of some mechanics leaving something half-fixed or broken so you are guaranteed to be a repeat customer in the future.-Innuendo (February 09, 2012, 05:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nailed it!  :Thmbsup:

PhilB66:
@Curt

Microsoft Fix it Center (http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/)

4wd:
Isn't this what System Restore is supposed to do?-4wd (February 09, 2012, 04:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite a lot of "you" guys have said that System Restore cannot be trusted.
And as the thumbnail picture shows, my second most often crashed program is: System Restore!-Curt (February 09, 2012, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, skipped over the bit where you were specifically wanting something to repair your PC  :-[

FWIW, I agree with Innuendo and SJ above - a reinstall is the only real way to fix your problems.  Your system is already unstable, installing anything could possibly make it more unstable especially something that actively plays with the registry.

I know you don't have installation or recovery media but you do have a valid license for the OS.  In that situation I'd have no problems with obtaining just the media from anywhere, (something I have had to do with XP).

I postulate that you may find all the information you require to reconstruct a suitable installation media from the following links (all at MyDigitalLife):
Checksum values (Alternate link AnandTech)
OEM Certificates
Vista ISO  (Originally from MSDN)
How to combine the two  NOTE: You need a valid OS license key.
Save Vista Activation data (eHow link)

And of course, a complete OS image before you start playing around.

Mods, if you think this sails a little too close the the ACTA/SOPA/PIPA/MAFIAA wind, feel free to delete the post.

EDIT: SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on  :-[

Stoic Joker:
EDIT:[/color] SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on-4wd (February 09, 2012, 07:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually that was PhilB66 ... I didn't think of it either. :)

4wd:
EDIT: SJ added the FixIt link while I was typing this, well DUH! on me, I completely forgot about that even though I have a flash drive with the portable version on-4wd (February 09, 2012, 07:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually that was PhilB66 ... I didn't think of it either. :)
-Stoic Joker (February 09, 2012, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stupid me....apologies PhilB66  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version