ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReImage: online Windows repair!

<< < (14/22) > >>

MerleOne:
Sorry to hear that.  If you're not disgusted with Paragon/Revo, you may try to download Paragon Emergency Recovery bootable media builder, build a bootable media and try to fix your machine with it.

tomos:
I have been offered a OEM disc at $180, the retail version is about $400 here in Denmark.
-Curt (February 24, 2012, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

if you shop around can you not get it cheaper?
I see multi-language OEM versions here (de) for 60 euro:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit OEM DVD und Windows 7 Home Premium COA (Multilanguage).

I know you wanted an upgrade - they dont have any on that site... but for €60 I'd chance an OEM myself...

Curt:
-thanks, tomos.

I think my mind was blocked when I wrote my previous post.

My main goal right now is to preserve my collection of Internet links, and a list of what programs I have installed. For some reason I never thought of backing up those data. Everything else is backed up. If I merely want a computer, I can click "Restore to a new clean Vista".

I am thinking about downloading a W7 32-bits Home Premium ISO to this borrowed laptop, and burn it, in order to repair Vista by upgrading. Later, when things have been saved, I can upgrade to 64-bits and have a clean install. Isn't this what I should do? I will think about it until tomorrow, better not be too hasty.
 :-\

Innuendo:
A few random points to add to the discussion -

Paragon programs are mostly junk...rebranded junk they have bought from other companies and put their new skin on. There's nothing they sell that you can't get the equivalent elsewhere for the same price or cheaper.
-
Curt, to get past your current nightmare, borrow someone's Vista disc and do an upgrade over the top of the old OS. It won't be pretty & Vista probably won't activate, but you'll have time to copy off the files you want.
-
OEM versions of Windows - You will be fine with an OEM copy. I have friends that have upgraded their PCs (including their motherboards) and Windows activated again just fine. There's especially nothing to worry about if your current install is 6+ months later than your last install with that disc. MS keeps activation data on their servers for only six months.
-
Upgrade versions of Windows - Depending on your levels of patience you may want to avoid one of these. An upgrade version will only activate if it's been used to upgrade a 'previous' version of Windows. If someone has a bare hard drive, that means that in order to get around this annoyance, they'd have to install their upgrade disc, not activate it, then reinstall Windows again as an upgrade to that 'previous' version in order to activate it. IMHO, life's too short to install Windows TWICE every time you reinstall your OS. They *may* have fixed this for Windows 7, but with Windows Vista it was the only way to use an upgrade disc on a bare hard drive.
-
Final point - Ultimately, with Windows 7 it doesn't really matter what kind of disc you have any longer (retail, upgrade, OEM, etc) as the serial dictates what type of Windows you have not the disc, as it was with previous versions of Windows.

Get yourself the OEM version of Windows x64 and enjoy life (and your savings). Once it's installed & activated your or nobody else will be able to tell a difference between it and the $400 copy you saw for sale.

Curt:
I have ordered the 64-bits W7 that tomos was linking to, Thank you Tom! The €60 price was including VAT but plus expensive mail, €15.

Sadly there are not a single person that I know of in my circles that have a retail Vista SP2 disc; Vista, yes, but always from Dell or something, and never SP2. I will have to look around some more, before trying to restore.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version