ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ReImage: online Windows repair!

<< < (6/22) > >>

Curt:
Looking at what it helpfully says for free, your main problem is windows search. That was my main problem on one of my machines. Nasty thing. And it is hard to uninstall, but can be disabled and its index minimised.-iphigenie (February 17, 2012, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

-WS has been a problem to me in more ways; the index is very seldom how I expect it to be. Sometimes, folders that I have manually added to be indexed, aren't, and sometimes they are. It's like my ex: "well, maybe I will, and then again maybe I won't!". From time to time I have used different search engines, but I have so far always returned to WS, because the others don't work quite like I would like them to. But I will see if totally disabling index will help - thank you!.

4wd:
If it does all these jobs it says, for a small office that is not a bad idea. but it's not that far from win7 upgrade price, no?-iphigenie (February 17, 2012, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 this, a Win7 OEM DVD (x86 or x64) can be had for AU$93 here, you get physical media and it will last longer than a year.

It will also fix Curts Vista OS problem :)

Curt:
-I have of course thought about upgrading. But Microsoft's tester tells me my PC isn't quite up to it.

cmpm:
Does it say why you can't upgrade to Windows 7?

It could be reading your system wrong, since you have had so much trouble with it.

From what I've seen or remember of your computer,
it should take W7 easily.

It will backup your Vista to windows.old which you can explore.
Though I've never tried to explore it, I've heard you can.
Either by mounting it or opening it. Can't recall.

At least 1gb of ram and a decent cpu will do it.
I have a single core 1gb laptop that had Vista on it and it upgraded, no problem.

If you buy W7, you may want the full version and not just the upgrade.
An upgrade disk requires that you have a windows operating system on your computer.
In case you want to format the whole thing and install, or put it on a new hard drive.
W7 Business is best imo.

MerleOne:

probably it can burn a CD by now... But this messing with your boot, installing a boot manager and hocus pocus around the key, well, it put me off. But somehow it needs to install something at the book layer. Software seems well aware of other OSes from their website, but still...

Boot thingies and partition level changes break machines. I am not doing this BEFORE I have made a backup copy.

Oh wait, I'm installing this so I can do a backup copy.

Ah, well, let me install some other backup tool first then...

And years later I remind myself how I bought this software untested and never got around to using it, and feel cheated.
-iphigenie (February 17, 2012, 02:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder whether you are referring to BootItNG, (now BootIt Bare Metal) rather than Image for Windows ? BING is indeed a partition manager, which proposed to install itself on a new partition, which, in some cases, can cause problems.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version