ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Just like the MPAA didn't learn from the RIAA, the games industry is next

<< < (2/8) > >>

40hz:
I think what most consumers don’t realize is that every time they buy a used game, there is ZERO money making it back to the Game Developers.  All of those profits are going directly to the re-seller and making it more and more difficult for us to continue making higher quality products.

The Question is, what can we do about it?

Game Developers have recently been trying to figure out ways to address this on our own over the last few years and have come up with some ideas that I’m actually beginning to like!

(Link to full article here. )
--- End quote ---

Talk about hubris. Further from Jameson Durall's blog :

There’s another big rumor about the next Xbox console that could really start to shake things up…it won’t play used games at all!  Personally I think this would be a fantastic change for our business and even though the consumers would be up in arms about it at first…they will grow to understand why and that it won’t kill them.

(Link to full article here. )
--- End quote ---

The 40hz NSFW analysis of J.Durall's sage words
From the Gospel according to 40hz (Ch:7 V:17):

The phrase "FUCK YOU!" takes many forms.

Jameson Durall's paragraph above is yet another way of saying it.

8)

rgdot:
I don't do the torrent and music downloads because I don't believe in that type of stuff but this way different.

Some good comments there, one by "Casey Wollschlager" sums it up one and for all.

So, like anything else that i buy, i paid $60 for it, now i own it and can do whatever i want with it.  I can agree that if they put an easy to understand label on the package that says that it is a one time use purchase and it will not be transferable, i will make my buying decision based on that info.  Regardless, i can't support developer's complaints that they don't get paid from the used market.  Who does for any product?  My example is going to be a ford mustang...  I buy a new mustang at the ford dealership.  Ford makes $3-4 thousand from the purchase.  2 years later, i sell it to some guy and make some of what i paid for it back.  Of course, Ford makes no money.  2 months after the guy buys it, it needs a new door handle.  He pays $75 at the ford dealership and ford makes some money(Hey, it sounds like DLC to me).  The point is, if your original product is worth anything, DLC will be of interest to everyone who buys it whether it is used or new.  If your business model doesn't make a profit on the first dsales, then you need to sell a better product.  There is a secondary market for almost every product that exists.
--- End quote ---

40hz:
On a related note - exactly what didn't the game industry learn from the RIAA and MPAA?

The RIAA and MPAA have seen ACTA passed in several places. And although there is a hue and cry breaking out about it, ACTA has yet to be formally overturned by any of its signatory nations.

So while there's still a lot of Sturm und Drang going on over it, it's still not a sure thing that all that screaming is going to change anything. Or defeat ACTA.

Even SOPA and PIPA aren't gone indefinitely. Once the next US election is over, they'll be back. The only difference is they'll be attached under different names as 'riders' to some huge and absolutely essential bill. And they'll be ten times harder to spot as a result when they come up for a vote.

Then there's what happened with Megauploads...

Right now, I think the gaming industry has been emboldened by the recent successes of the RIAA and MPAA - who are slowly but steadily getting everything they're demanding from our world's governments.

rgdot:
I know nobody needs to read my political one liners again  ;) but...

We are still the ones voting for these people. These who did and tried, will try again, will hide it under other bills, etc.

wraith808:
Don't boycott those games. Buy them used if you want them.
-Deozaan (February 07, 2012, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't even buy them *used*.  Buying them used creates a market... I want it to get to the point where this @$$hat's work isn't even worth reselling... you walk into Gamestop and they tell you "We can't buy your new version of Saint's Row 4 because no one will buy it."  That makes people even less likely to buy them new.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version