ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Some help needed with ScreenShotCaptor

<< < (3/6) > >>

peterlonz:
"Names & numbers"- OK.
Remember that I have already concluded that SC is clearly not suitable for the use to which I intended to apply it.
But if it will help program development, or de-bugging, or simply anyone else having trouble, then I am happy to help.

1.   Go here to see the datasheet (.pdf file) displayed in FF V11.0:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/57065/533534.pdf
As may be seen, this is a 4 page document, the first half page of which can be viewed on screen, the balance of the doc by scrolling.
2.   To copy & save this in FF, I simply move my cursor towards the bottom of the screen where a print or save option is available. Select save, decide where to save, & save; all done (all 4 pages).
3.   In Chrome V17.0.963.79 m, the same datasheet displays (.pdf file) in nearly the same manner as FF.
4.   To copy & save in Chrome, I move my cursor to the screen bottom right until an options menu appears which includes print & save. Select save, decide where to save, save & all 4 pages are captured.
5.   In both cases the saved file is a .pdf which is what I want.
6.   I explored other save methods in both browsers:
a)   In FF using Fireshot plug-in; which allowed me to save only the visible portion of the doc.
b)   In Chrome using the tool “Save page as” & “Screen Capture option, neither saved anything useful.
c)   In Chrome I used the zoom tool to shrink so that all the first page (plus part of page 2) was visible, then selecting the “Save page as” option successfully saved all 4 pages as a .pfd file.
Note that a similar approach in FF failed because I was unable to use the zoom tool on this display (reasons unknown to me).
d)  In neither browser was I able to directly select a portion of the .pdf file & copy only that portion, so copying say a table from within the doc appears nigh impossible which I guess is why the file was posted in .pdf format.

I recognise that the save methods used for browsers may not be directly relevant to the utility of SC. But as I have said this simple vertical scroll capture should nevertheless be dead simple in SC or there is little purpose in learning how to use it; MHO of course.

On a positive note I was able to use SC to capture a selected portion of the pdf file first page. When saved as a .bmp I expected I would be able to subsequently magnify using a graphics editor, which proved to be the case, but the detail suffered, & was significantly inferior to the image available using the powerful “zoom in” feature of Chrome.

ewemoa:
Thanks for providing these details :up:

Ath:
"Names & numbers"- OK.
-peterlonz (March 17, 2012, 01:23 AM)
--- End quote ---
You didn't mention the pdf reader installed into Firefox?

1.   Go here to see the datasheet (.pdf file) displayed in FF V11.0:
http://www.vishay.com/docs/57065/533534.pdf
--- End quote ---
I just made a near perfect scrolling screenshot using Chrome 19 (build 1061-dev), only issue is that SSC didn't correctly auto-detect the right margin of the screenshot. but that was easily adjusted.
Some help needed with ScreenShotCaptor

What version of ScreenShotCaptor are you actually using, it sounds as if you have a pre-3.0 version? The version number is in the About screen. If not version 3, then first upgrade and re-try 8)

tomos:
With browsers, mouser actually recommends using a browser add-on to capture large web pages.
This example is different again in that it's a PDF within the browser - presumably in Adobe Reader?
see the first minute of
https://www.donationcoder.com/screencasts/dc/3ds/sc21/sc21.html

In FF 10.0.2 I was able to get a good screenshot - but not easily:

I tested window & it couldnt scroll - recommended I click in the window & retest - that worked. I started the capture,
in the next dialogue, I clicked:

1. "START HERE: guess margins"
and
2. Guess overlaps...     #2 gave me this message:

[Window Title] Screenshot Captor

[Content] ATTENTION:

The vertical overlap value could not be guessed.  This means that either that the page
 contents have no overlap, or, more likely, that the overlap was too small to
 reliably detect or that the contents changed while scrolling.

Please check the stitched image and manually adjust the margin and overlap values.

Tip: After changing margins you might try pressing the "2" button to re-guess overlaps.

[OK]
--- End quote ---

I then had to change the Vertical value under "Trim & Show" (top-left in screenshot below)

I've had that experience before - and this was the last value I tried changing (it isnt really covered by the suggestion in the message above to change "margin and overlap values" - to be honest I'm not sure what it is or does...). So, this time it was the first value I tried changing ;-)

tomos:
But as I have said this simple vertical scroll capture should nevertheless be dead simple in SC or there is little purpose in learning how to use it; MHO of course.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the details peterlonz :up:
FWIW I have heard that all (or almost all?) screen capture tools have problems with scrolling capture with one app or another. Which is why mouser developed this new scrolling capture. I dont find it particularly intuitive to use, but it has worked extremely well for me, with some quirks at times (like in my previous post).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version