ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Distributed compiling and clustering

<< < (2/2)

f0dder:
Well, if you have the priority set in a way that the 2GHz is before the 1GHz machine, wouldn't it compile it on the 2GHz machine?

--- End quote ---
Depends on how files are served - first-come-first-served then it wouldn't matter. Unless the master machine decides it's been waiting too long and redelegates job to the faster machine, but I dunno how it works :)

Like, if you want to compile something on a 1GHz machine, and there's 3 2GHz machines, it'd still be allot faster just not to compile on the 1GHz machine, and take localhost out of the hostlist.... dunno :)

--- End quote ---
Exactly - but it still sucks not being able to use that extra gigahertz :P.

mouser:
wow - fantastic mini review for programmers!
gothic you rock.

gjehle:
if you need to do cross compiling over different architectures try this

http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_AMD64-x86-distcc

i'm going to try this in a minute with my 4400+ x2 and the old 1ghz box
gonna write a little bit about it if i succeed, looks easy enough

Gothi[c]:
That's cool, gjehle! I wish I had a 64b cpu to fool around with.

I actually got around to compiling code::blocks on linux, seems to be stable enough sofar (unlike what i've read in reviews of the linux version on past versions), though time will tell. - but- here's the twist:
It was -very- easy to make code::blocks use distcc!

Just replace all the g++ / gcc with distcc in Settings->Compiler.

Everything still works normally, you still get all warnings in the log etc, just get a majour speed boost :)

Here's a screenshot of my 3ghz box doing the work for my slow 1ghz Dell disaster computer.

mouser:
that is really really cool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version