ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (11/15) > >>

Nudel:
Igor's incorrect about drag & drop, FWIW. Drag sources can provide the files via IStreams and do not have to write the data to temporary files. The data can be sent to the drop target directly from memory if you want.

Re Winzip, I installed it recently to test something and I was really, really impressed... by the amount of garbage they had managed to cram into the installer of what should have been a simple archive tool. It must have taken me 10 minutes to install the stupid thing, click through all the prompts about other software I didn't want and similar nonsense... Really incredible how bad it is now, even before you get to the program itself (which then tries to get you to install even more junk the first time you run it).

xtabber:
Re Winzip, I installed it recently to test something and I was really, really impressed... by the amount of garbage they had managed to cram into the installer of what should have been a simple archive tool. It must have taken me 10 minutes to install the stupid thing, click through all the prompts about other software I didn't want and similar nonsense... Really incredible how bad it is now, even before you get to the program itself (which then tries to get you to install even more junk the first time you run it).
-Nudel (February 12, 2012, 05:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

The hallmark of Corel Corporation!  They buy up well-regarded programs whose developers are cashing out, and try to wring every buck they can out of them by grinding out annual "upgrades" that offer no real improvement, and loading them with marketing tools for their other software properties.

Tuxman:
Corel managed to ruin everything they bought so far.

WinZip, btw, is still great for what it is intended to be. It just could need more file formats, .zipx is nice but proprietary. Instead, Corel adds useless backup and similar functionality. They should learn that sometimes less is more.

Corel has a fantastic portfolio. They should use it better.

Innuendo:
Corel managed to ruin everything they bought so far.-Tuxman (February 12, 2012, 01:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

I mean when I say the following in every conceivable way possible....

Corel is the productivity software counterpart to Electronic Arts. Honorable mention goes to Symantec.

Tuxman:
Symantec? Now that's hard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version