ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Is WinZip still worth updating?

<< < (10/15) > >>

worstje:
The one problem I have with 7zip, and also with Winrar in the past, is that drag-and-drop tends to unzip to some temporary directory first, and gets moved to the right location afterwards. When dealing with 1gb+ archives, that shit is slow and half the time I need to delete stuff because I run out of diskspace.

I really wish that would get fixed some time. (I know there's a setting for it, but it's a dud in my experience.)

Innuendo:
So it does.-oblivion (February 10, 2012, 03:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

PowerArchiver supports more archive formats than most archiving programs out on the market. You'll be hard-pressed to find something it won't open.

I also "pressed the button." I have uninstalled Winzip (and took the opportunity to tell them why, when the "why oh why are you doing this dreadful thing" webpage opened :) ) and replaced it with my shiny new PowerArchiver -- which cost me about the same (thanks BDJ!) as the WinZip upgrade would have done.
--- End quote ---

Glad I could help you in your decision. A lot of people automatically dismiss the idea of buying an archiving program out of hand because there are so many freeware alternatives out there. There are a lot of programs out there that will do most of what PowerArchiver does & they will do those functions very well, but there's nothing that matches or beats all of what PowerArchiver has to offer and the authors are always working hard on bringing us something new or enhanced.

I hope you enjoy using the program half as much as I do. I use it literally every single day & I'm not happy when I have to use a computer that doesn't have it installed.

mahesh2k:
I use zipgenius and 7-zip, as per my observation these two handle more file formats than winzip (If i'm not wrong, atleast that was the case in the past).

Lashiec:
But WinRAR will not allow you to create a Zip archive with more than 4GB of content, so I also use 7zip when I need that capability.
-xtabber (February 09, 2012, 09:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

That was finally fixed on version 4.10, so give it a spin. I don't know how it took so long for them to add such feature.

7-zip is good, but the interface is mediocre and the 64-bit version does not show up in the context menu of XYplorer on Windows 7 64-bit systems.

--- End quote ---

A limitation of XYplorer and a oversight on 7-Zip. XYplorer is a 32-bit application only and 7-Zip only includes a 64-bit shell extension (WinRAR includes both versions). Donald said a 64-bit version of XYplorer is coming but I don't know how he intends to do that given the number of roadblocks ahead.

Edvard:
AFAIK, the best reason for owning WinRAR is the ability to create RAR archives.
Un-archiving them can be handled by just about any archiver.

The one problem I have with 7zip, and also with Winrar in the past, is that drag-and-drop tends to unzip to some temporary directory first, and gets moved to the right location afterwards. When dealing with 1gb+ archives, that shit is slow and half the time I need to delete stuff because I run out of diskspace.
-worstje (February 10, 2012, 04:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Igor deals with that question in the FAQ:
Why does drag-and-drop archive extraction from 7-Zip to Explorer use temp files?

7-Zip doesn't know folder path of drop target. Only Windows Explorer knows exact drop target. And Windows Explorer needs files (drag source) as decompressed files on disk. So 7-Zip extracts files from archive to temp folder and then 7-Zip notifies Windows Explorer about paths of these temp files. Then Windows Explorer copies these files to drop target folder.

To avoid temp file usage, you can use Extract command of 7-Zip or drag-and-drop from 7-Zip to 7-Zip.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version