ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Searching a good Screenrecorder

<< < (4/6) > >>

wr975:
last time i tried it it wasn't good at all at producing smooth flowing movies automatically (or at least i didnt see how to do it).
--- End quote ---

It was my main interest to see if Wink 2.0 changed something in this area. Unless there's something I missed, it's exactly the same. Just like the old version it offers three modes.

* Single frame capture - You've to tell when it should do a snapshot
* Timed frame capture - Creates a snapshot at a given intervall (like 4 frames / second)
* Input Driven - Creates a snapshot every time you click a mouse button or press a key
My short sample was done with timed frame capture, 4 frames/sec. More frames/sec would make the video smoother, but increase file size.

For optimal use someone would need to change between the three recording modes while recording.

mouser:
ah i see, so its timed frame capture mode, i understand now.

Keilup:
Here's the official announcement of 2.0:

http://www.debugmode.com/userforums/viewtopic.php?t=2598

I also wanted to point out that Wink was not designed to capture and then present in a movie like fashion.  However, with 2.0 and the addition of sound, it comes pretty close.

I took a look at those 2 samples by wr975.  Quite similar.  Mostly just didnt' add the callouts to the Wink sample.  And comparing the costs between BB Flashback and Wink, well, there's no comparison there.

Personally, I think Wink 2.0 is a fine piece of software.  It doesn't do everything and it won't.  But it does a lot and does it well for free.

mouser:
not only that but wink may even be superior if your desire is to not record a movie live, but rather manually make one from static screenshots.

bmm:
Here's a screen video I made for a friend the other day:

BB Flashback 1.5
http://data.wr975.com/patchcd.html  (218 KB)

And to compare, here's a video made with Wink

Wink 2.0
http://data.wr975.com/test.htm (480 kb)
-wr975 (April 14, 2006, 07:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting thanks. It is interesting to note the file sizes as BBFlashback seems to produce a longer more complex movie in less than 50% of the space.
-Carol Haynes (April 14, 2006, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

From watching the two movies it is clearly the Wink movie that is more complex because there are more changes in screen contents in the Wink movie. Also the Wink movie was recorded with a gradient Title Bar that also increases the size. Finally the Wink movie could be smaller by reducing the number of colours (by adding a palette to the Wink project). I did a quick test trying to mimic the BBFlashback movie as much as possible (with textboxes and pauses) and got a 275 KB file from Wink. Still not as small as the BB Flashback movie but certainly much more comparable.

About the discussion of continuous (fluent movie) capture vs. frame based capture. This is matter of taste and the task at hand. Continuous capture is a easier to do (than automatic (input driven) frame capture) but also more prone to mistakes during recording since everything is recorded and not just screenshots of actual actions. I find continuous capture best for "simple" screencasting while framebased capture is better for "professional" tutorials/simulations.

While Wink can do continuous (timed) capture it is not in the same league as either Camtasia or BB Flashback in this regard and this is also not the goal of Wink. The best/smallest projects with Wink are done with input-driven capture that automatically captures screenshots for each key press and mouse click.

The afterwards editing of a project is easier in a framebased project than a continuous captured project. It is impossible to do simple edits of cursor position in both Camtasia and BB FlashBack. Interactivity is much easier to do in a framebased product. Although Camtasia has come a long way in this regard it is still not anywhere close to Captivate. I find Wink 2.0 more powerful than BB Flashback in both the editing and interactivity part.

And the price of Wink can't be beat as already mentioned. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version