ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Chilling Effects - BTjunkie Closes

<< < (4/5) > >>

40hz:
Where it's all going:

:P

Renegade:
My WTF-meter would have registered off the charts, had it not burned out a while back.

Elite Anti-Terror Police Went After Megaupload’s Kim Dotcom
While last month’s shutdown of Megaupload has been well documented, the finer details of the raid on Kim Dotcom’s mansion have only just been revealed. A new and astonishing report features a house tour and in-depth discussion with Dotcom’s bodyguard. He was confronted by dozens of armed police, some from New Zealand’s elite anti-terrorist force, who also demanded of a nanny: “Do you have any bombs?!”
--- End quote ---

http://torrentfreak.com/elite-anti-terror-police-went-after-megauploads-kim-dotcom-120207/
-nosh (February 07, 2012, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

Tempero said he asked the nanny twice if she was sure they asked if she had bombs – she said she was. “Maybe that’s the kind of thing that Filipino nannies do,” Tempero said.
--- End quote ---

None of my previous Filipino maids have ever had and bombs... I suppose I just hired the wrong ones. :P

Here's a good video from the article:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Campbell-Live-enters-Kim-Dotcoms-Coatesville-mansion/tabid/367/articleID/242116/Default.aspx

The video that follows has the police chief in charge. His comments are pretty guarded.

Where it's all going:

:P
-40hz (February 07, 2012, 09:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1

If there's a theme song here, might I suggest something alone these lines:

40hz:
The video that follows has the police chief in charge. His comments are pretty guarded.
-Renegade (February 07, 2012, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

He also never really explains how he can reconcile his belief that the police acted in a manner that could best protect the lives of everyone inside and outside the house with having 30 or so heavily armed and adrenalin-juiced paramilitary police running around in all that darkness, noise, and confusion.

Nor how he could argue that the police were acting on the best intelligence available despite the fact it took them a full half hour before they even located, let alone entered, the mansion's 'safe room' - and all that despite the fact that the room was clearly shown on the existing plans for the house that were already on file with whatever NZ's equivalent of the local zoning and building permits office is.

It's amazing nobody was accidentally hurt or killed that night.

If that interview was an attempt by the police to put some positive spin on an excessively heavy-handed but almost comically botched raid, he needed to be much better prepped. Maybe next time they can hire some professional handlers to coach him on how to tone down what comes across as a contemptuous and rather smirky demeanor while they're at it.

Sorry. But the man sounded like an ill-informed apparatchik working off a hastily prepared set of talking points. And that was before he started stonewalling most of the pointed questions being asked (and re-asked) of him.

nosh:
That pic is hilarious!  ;D

IainB:
I missed seeing the NZ TV3 programme when it aired, so watched it tonight on replay video:

Kim Dotcom's head of security, Wayne Tempero, walks John Campbell through the events on January 20 in a global TV exclusive.
Campbell Live enters Kim Dotcom's Coatesville mansion - Video

Campbell Live talks to Assistant Police Commissioner Malcolm Burgess, who signed off on the Dotcom police operation:
Police defend actions during Dotcom raid - Video

It doesn't make sense. I have the highest regard for the integrity of the NZ Defence and police people that I have had the opportunity to work with over the years. I feel sure there must be a lot more behind the charges against Mr Dotcom and possibly others, for the police to have acted in the way they did. For all we know, the police may be prohibited from telling us what it is.
"There were 70-odd officers distributed across a number of properties, executing up to 10 search warrants during the course of the day...
...There were 20 or 30 [officers] initially [at Dotcom's property] to seize the place..."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version