ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Chilling Effects - BTjunkie Closes

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
This latest collapse of an ISP could be just another illustration (there have been 2 or 3 so far, I think) as to what a display of institutionalised and legalised thuggery can actually achieve.

The Megaupload was arguably a salutary lesson for all, since it demonstrated what the real powers could make happen to you if they become impatient and decide to avoid following an expensive, time-consuming and due legal process. Just concoct some trumped-up charges and release the dogs.
One thing it seems to have proven is that force/intimidation ("shock and awe") is still the most effective deterrent when employed by State/MAFIAA thugs.

I must admit that I would never have expected to see a repeat of the sort of calculating, deliberate, absolutely over-the-top - i.e., excessive and unnecessarily violent - actions by the New Zealand police that were evident in the
1981 South Africa rugby union tour of New Zealand

That it was apparently done in this case at the behest of a foreign Fascist State beggars belief.
There is a documentary on NZTV tonight that apparently examines whether there was unnecessary force employed, but given that it is State-funded TV, I think the outcome could be predictable - "Nothing to see here Move on." Keep the proles happy.
We shall see.

TaoPhoenix:

Ugly thing is, examples from 20 years ago sorta don't even apply, "that was then".

This new copyright crusade is accelerating fast, and you're right, .Gov was pissed at the SOPA reaction, so they pulled out the favors and showed 'em who's who.

mahesh2k:
Correct my English here but is this what they call "Fear By example" ?

40hz:
Correct my English here but is this what they call "Fear By example" ?
-mahesh2k (February 06, 2012, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps: "Making an Example" or "Rule by Fear" :)

Although I really like your "Fear by Example."

If you don't mind, I'm going to start using that.  8):Thmbsup:

IainB:
Yes, strictly speaking, MegaUL "has been made an example of", to teach the rest of us a lesson of fear of the authorities.
That's the way to do it! - Punch, in Punch and Judy.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version