ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

<< < (8/8)

Stoic Joker:
BUT, in their eyes, it is criminal.-db90h (February 09, 2012, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

In their eyes humming a tune in the park is criminal.

Innuendo:
I'm sure if they had their way the only method we'd have to listen to music would be FM radios with integrated credit card swipe readers on the side.

40hz:
BUT, in their eyes, it is criminal.-db90h (February 09, 2012, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

In their eyes humming a tune in the park is criminal.
-Stoic Joker (February 09, 2012, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much. They've gone after cover bands playing local bar venues. And I'm not talking full out tribute bands either. Just people covering a general mix songs.

Someone with big concern about this is the jazz performance world where improvisation is the name of the game.

When improvising, it's a common and accepted practice to quote bits and pieces of other people's songs and solos when you're preforming your own. Nothing new here. This is how jazz has been played since day one. A jazz player is expected to master a vocabulary of themes, riffs, and 'standard' songs as part of their learning the idiom - and to be able to know how and when to use them. But now, there's a very real worry that everything jazz used to be about may be coming to a close with the ridiculous extremes that copyright rules are getting pushed to.

First it started with record companies sometimes putting restrictions on who a player was allowed to "sit in" with - which is another thing jazz is about since, at its core, it's a live-performance artform that thrives on the cross-fertilization playing with other musicians provides.

Now, some record labels are beginning to feel the need to put the music they hold (under contract) in silos as well...

Talk about bad acid!  :(

Stoic Joker:
Pretty much. They've gone after cover bands playing local bar venues. And I'm not talking full out tribute bands either. Just people covering a general mix songs.-40hz (February 09, 2012, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're preaching to the quire on that one. (the story has been posted here a few times before) I had one of the aforementioned bars that (BMI) the Media-Mafia "raided" with a flock of lawyers back in the 90's. I've been hating them ever since. They threatened to hit me with fines of $25,000 per person per song played if I didn't apply for a (equally insanely priced) license to have some hick with a guitar murder a few songs on a Friday night.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version