ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who needs SOPA? Website accused of defamation is closed by judge

<< < (2/3) > >>

zridling:
Governments are clearly threatened by the power of the internet to spread ideas and change the zeitgeist around the globe. Governments are fed up with their citizens overthrowing dictators and telling corporations to go f*ck themselves. Just like the US, they're militarizing their police forces and they're going to use the distraction called "piracy" (which they don't understand at all) to assert their authority over your life. Those same governments have no clue that they're sowing the seeds of their own destruction. The French Revolution is looking mighty good from the 21st Century!

40hz:
Next step will be engineering a gradual reduction leading to the eventual end of open platform PC manufacturing. Afterwards, all there will be left are walled-garden devices licensed, monitored, and controlled by government friendly corporations.

This will be done because the government lacks the constitutional authority to issue regulations that corporations may impose at will - and can enforce thanks to patents, copyright laws, and things like ACTA/SOPA/PIPA which make it illegal to attempt to circumvent any restrictions they build into their devices.  

Do we now finally see where this is all leading? And why things like ACTA are getting signed all over the world despite public protest and concern?

It's not just the USA. Apparently governments everywhere have decided both the free Internet, and open hardware platforms, simply must go. And they want it gone not only from the backbone and the airwaves - they want it taken out of the hands of their private citizens as well.  

Brave new world ladies & gentlemen. It's called "Global Village." And the plans for it say there will be barbed wire fences and guard towers placed all around it.  

Welcome to the Age of the Panopticon. :tellme:

TaoPhoenix:
Well, that article was British/Irish...
-TaoPhoenix (February 02, 2012, 07:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

fixed that for you there :-)
with apologies :) I seem to be giving you a hard time today (FWIW, I'm irish...)
-tomos (February 02, 2012, 07:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I plead "vague article" without doing extensive research. If I may feebly submit:

Opening line: "A JUDGE yesterday ordered a website to be shut down and said lawmakers should think about making it illegal to post "patently untrue" allegations about people on the internet."

Oops, I don't yet even know what *country* we are dealing with here! (Goes to look at the newspaper heading - Something.ie, okay, that's where the Irish half of my remark came from.)

"Sligo-based solicitor ... The action was against site operators John Gill, of Drumline, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Co Clare; and Ann Vogelaar, of Parklands, Westport, Co Mayo."

Hence my exhausted post, I didn't know quickly whether those were Irish jurisdictions or British ones. So I hedged. :(

TaoPhoenix:
(New Topic)

What I don't get is why they're "suddenly" afraid of the Internet in 2012, why was life so grand with it all through Net 1.0 and Pets.com and all that jazz? I was kinda a tech newbie until about 2002, but I'd wager a hamburger that we didn't see some THIRTY vicious copyright/terrorist stories a MONTH in the 90's. Timothy McVeigh was ... just Timothy McVeigh. 9-11 became "The World Will Never Be The Same".

So we copied the living daylights out of stuff on the net in the 90's - where were all those lawyers looking for cheap bucks? The DMCA was passed in 1998.

What am I missing? How did we accelerate into the most vicious top-down control regime in five years?

tomos:
^
^no worries Tao ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version