topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Saturday April 20, 2024, 12:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Question from member: What do I do with a zip file containing a program?  (Read 3828 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I received this email from someone having trouble running one of our coding snacks downloads (i've edited it for a bit of clarity)

"I downloaded the zip file, but when i ran the exe program inside the zip file it says something about some missing files.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?"

ANSWER:

Unless the zip file contains a single setup exe program, you always need to UNPACK/EXTRACT the zip file first, creating a new folder with the contents of the zip file in it.

This new folder with the extracted contents of the zip file will be the new home of this program - you can then move the folder someplace permanent and run the program from there.

So in short, don't try to run programs from inside zip file directly - always extract the files first, otherwise the program won't be able to find its data files.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 07:50 AM by mouser »

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I received this email from someone having trouble running one of our coding snacks downloads (i've edited it for a bit of clarity)

"I downloaded the zip file, but when i ran the exe program inside the zip file it says something about some missing files.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?"

ANSWER:

Unless the zip file contains a single setup exe program, you always need to UNPACK/EXTRACT the zip file first, creating a new folder with the contents of the zip file in it.

This new folder with the extracted contents of the zip file will be the new home of this program - you can then move the folder someplace permanent and run the program from there.

So in short, don't try to run programs from inside zip file directly - always extract the files first, otherwise the program won't be able to find its data files.

Wow Mouser... I really could have used your step-by-step answer today.  I think I'll start reading (and maybe reviving) older posts... so other beginners, like myself, can better understand how computer stuff works (or doesn't work).  :Thmbsup: 

I did get some great help today but your step-by-step approach is more my speed.   :)