ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Farr freezes / delays : solved but...

(1/5) > >>

Armando:
For a while I got intermittent (and extremely annoying) farr freeze / delays. Didn't do anything about it as I didn't have the time to debug.

Recently decided to solve the problem: Turned out that it was the same problem described in this thread

But the problem is now with Microsoft Security Essentials (I changed antivirus since last time). Excluding ini files in MSE's "Settings" didn't seem to be enough and so I decided to exclude farr's process entirely from MSE's scans. That did it. No more freezes.

Now... I'm wondering how bad does this affect farr's user experience in general : so many people use MSE, I'm certainly not the only one experiencing long farr freezes (I'm on a 3y old laptop, 2.2ghz core2duo). In my case, the freezes were long enough to make me think of installing something else, even after years of use and enthusiasm. If I was new to farr I might have just dumped it right away for something that felt speedier.

Maybe something in the installation process, or somewhere VERY obvious should warn the user? Dunno...

Farr doesn't deserve to look bad because of some ill-mannered AV.

Scott_Y:
I sometimes experience overly-long delays such as after two keystrokes, the second character does not appear in the search box while I am waiting, waiting, waiting. And I do have MSE running, so perhaps this is the same problem as you report here, Armando.

Question: What do I enter in MSE's settings to exclude "farr's process entirely"? Thanks.

Armando:
I got exactly the same very annoying symptoms where it just felt that going to the start menu clicking my way through deep hierarchies would be quicker.

- Open MSE's main window (double click on tray icon)
- click "Settings" tab
- On the left part (column) of the MSE window : Click on "Excluded processes"
- Still in MSE, browse to your farr folder and select the FindAndRunRobot.exe process.

That's it. DISCLAIMER : it's not considered a safe practice to exclude processes from an AV scan. In this case though, I don't feel it's too risky. If others want to comment (I'm no security expert) on that issue, they're more than welcome...

You could also click on "Excluded file types" and type "ini" as the extension to exclude. That didn't seem to help, but who knows...

Unfortunately I don't have more time to explore alternatives.

Tell me if that fixes your "overly long delays" problem. (Here it fixed them completely and farr is running as it should :Thmbsup: and is much more useful this way).

Scott_Y:
Your description of the delay is perfect: Wondering if it wouldn't be faster to go through the Windows Start menu. Heh.

Oh my... IMMEDIATE speedup after adding FARR to the Excluded Processes list for MSE!!! I didn't exclude anything else.

Now all the characters appear in the search box as fast as I can type them -- no more waiting for the second character to appear, wondering "What in the world is FARR doing???"

Simple yet brilliant solution, Armando! Thanks so much! FARR is like a whole new program now -- stunning! Win7/64

Armando:
Great!
Now this is why I took the time to post this in the first place. I knew I couldn't be alone with this problem. Hopefully, we're not the majority.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version