ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Screenshot Captor

Screenshot Captor v3 beta

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
The next non-beta release of Screenshot Captor will be version 3.0 (!)

Version 2 came out on September 3rd, 2005 (six years ago) -- and about 106 updates ago.

The biggest addition in Version 3 over the last version 2 release (2.103) is what I believe is the most powerful scrolling capture seen in any screenshot tool (though i do not claim it's the easiest to use or the most automatic) -- but otherwise if you had the most recent version 2 release you won't notice too many other changes.  It just seemed like after six years it was time for new major version release.

The new version also marks the first break with the packaging method I have been using on my DC apps.

My setup .exe packages used to be zip-compatible, which meant you could run them to install the app, or unzip them to access the files manually.  But from now on, my programs will always come as 2 separate downloads -- one a standard installer, and one a portable .zip package.

I'm hoping this new procedure will solve a problem people occasionally have with their browser downloading a partial file and making the mistake of thinking the full file has downloaded but is corrupt (search for "not a valid 32 executable" on the forum for sampling of such errors).

The portable zip file will also come with a pre-configured config.dir file that will tell the program to run portably without the user having to make any modifications.  I hope this will be a little less confusing and make it even easier for portable users.

Furthermore setup files and executables will now be digitally signed with a DonationCoder certificate, which should eliminate some of the scary warnings that some browsers occasionally show.

I want to say thank you to all the Screenshot Captor users and testers, and especially the donators -- who have made it possible for me to keep working on the program for all these years.  If you're a user of Screenshot Captor but haven't yet made a donation -- I'm hoping you will take this opportunity to do so.

Also, I'm going to dedicate this version 3 to Gizmo's Tech Support Alert website, which gave Screenshot Captor its "Best in Class" award for screenshot tools.  Gizmo has always been super supportive of this site, and I can't express how honored I feel to have Screenshot Captor receive that award.  It motivated me to double my efforts to improve the program.

An early download of the v3 beta is here:

* https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/downloads/beta/ScreenshotCaptorSetup.exe
* https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/screenshotcaptor/downloads/beta/ScreenshotCaptorPortable.zip
FEB 5, 2012: V3 has left beta; official thread is: here.

Screencast Videos: https://www.donationcoder.com/screencasts/sc/

I hope to make it final this week.

db90h:
I will start using and begin testing mouser, as I *still* use this as my screenshot tool. For me, it is the best app you've ever created. It has just what I need, not too much, not too little. Glad to see progress being made and I'm glad to see you with that elusive creative impetus back in your pocket ;).

And glad you finally got on board with digital signing, the racket it is ;o. I'm hoping it comes down in cost in time, though who knows.

mouser:
Thanks db.  And I have to give you some of the credit for kicking me in the ass and telling me i needed to start digitally signing my executables.. even if i grumble all the way through it.

mouser:
Check out the new Splice Deluxe function with ragged edges.

db90h:
Ah, very cool :). These little simple effects and all the 'stuff' one would *need* to do to a screenshot is what makes SSC so cool I think, and the way the UI is designed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version