ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

POSTING 101

<< < (5/10) > >>

crabby3:
Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.   :-[
-crabby3 (January 25, 2013, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's called a "spoiler". Just select the stuff you want to hide behind the button, then click the little button that looks like this:  (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (January 25, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a mess... I want to hide an image I have but... how do I get it from my machine to DC?    :huh: :-[

superboyac:
Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.   :-[
-crabby3 (January 25, 2013, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's called a "spoiler". Just select the stuff you want to hide behind the button, then click the little button that looks like this:  (see attachment in previous post)
-app103 (January 25, 2013, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm a mess... I want to hide an image I have but... how do I get it from my machine to DC?    :huh: :-[
-crabby3 (January 25, 2013, 03:26 PM)
--- End quote ---
You still practicing??  You should get a degree or something.  How about a badge?

40hz:
Easiest is to first write your post without the images.

Once your text is done, switch to preview by hitting button at the bottom of the box.

Next - decide what type of image you want to display. Most times it will either be an image or a thumbnail.

Position your cursor where you want the picture to go.

For a full size image hit the little picture button between the YouTube and globe icons up above on the second line.

That will put an anchor in place where the image will eventually be loaded

Wherever the anchor is will be where your picture gets displayed in your post. You can't see the picture until you actually post it to the forum because it also needs to be uploaded before the forum software can display it..

You do that by scrolling down to the bottom of the posting form to where you see Attach:

Click the browse button and locate the picture you want to post.

You'll see the file name is now shown in the box.

Hit post - and when it finishes loading you'll see it on the forum page.

Paul Keith:
This may be a little bit overboard depending on what you are practicing and if you know this already, I apologize.

Some software I think like Latex and it's WYSIWYM cousin Lyx, holds this concept of never use bold, italics, underline until you have typed all your text.

Some novel writing concepts also hold this minimum, no working/editing on your header and chapters until you have written out all the stories and filled all the section.

For images, you can slow down the necessity of worrying about the anchor by creating a placemark instead. If you can Ascii art it, I guess it helps but mostly instead of [ Invalid Attachment ] you can type in:

[mood: warm]
Every prolonged bloody war gets to a point where a dad must appreciate the birth of their only child before the sunset drops hours after the red hot noon.

[face: bearded] Athalaxix the warlord:

How goes the siege?

[face: young] ???:

It goes...ACK!!! [spurt: blood]

It's not really advisable but if you really have a hard time grasping the attach and the browse box, placemarking without attaching an image helps disassociating yourself from the task and hones you in on how everything in a forum editor is essentially an anchor concept.

For example, you attach an image from browse (which opens your machine) and so once you are in the link inline image box stage instead of thinking this attach thing goes here or image 1 should be in attach 1, you already have a concept that attach 1 should replace placeholder x.

For example [face: young] will be deleted for an image.

When you start getting this consistent world view of forum editors, everything churns in a singular pattern of placemark -> attach.

Insert quote button once clicked attaches a placemark of the quote.

Titles above posts once clicked attaches a jump towards the post you are talking about.

Example, Hey, IainB, could you please supply me with a How-To for the Click to Reveal/Hide box in your Reply #4 here?  I can't seem to figure it out by myself.

Try clicking the blue link in that sentence and see where it loads differently from when you did it.

When you can do that, concepts like tables, permalinks, attaching images versus pasting image urls...they all start to function the same mechanically i.e. they are all one and the same. Clicking a button like SP and writing Spoiler has the same role as typing [url] or writing . It's all anchoring something inside and it's all replacing what's inside and turning it into what you want it to be turned.

There are no real differences. The boxes are all the same. The anchors all hook something. plus image is image hooked and pulling anchor to the center while image is in turn hooked to [ Invalid Attachment ].

Sometimes (apparently not in the case of spoilers), you can even cheat because when you quote someone's post, the editor is forced to unhide the newly born image and roll back to all the formatting that you see when you or that person is typing. Like if you quote my text here now, you'll see in the posting window how things were written. Where things were messed up. Where things formatted correctly. It's like you have an editor for the thing I wrote even if you didn't type it.
--- End quote ---

crabby3:
Does anyone know the approx. time of day that DC runs the forum backup?

I think the Trigger is: Whenever crabby3 clicks reply/quote/new topic/or anything   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version