ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ZOOM setting reminder ?

(1/4) > >>

crabby3:
Occasionally I have to set my zoom to higher than normal.  Usually because, for some reason, the site or author has chosen to use a microscopic serif font and the letters look all globbed together at only 100%.   :huh:   You've probably seen this?    Talk about asthenopia eyestrain.    ;D

Because of this seldom use... I don't always remember to reset back to 100%.   :'(   Mainly because there's no obvious indication on IE that I've changed the zoom.   :P

I'm looking for a very easy to use and understand program(?)    :huh: I'm not sure if this needs to be a program.  :huh:   Something as easy as mousers SC maybe?  :D

I'm not always plugged into my modem so if it started when I launch IE, and stopped when I close it, would be great.   :)

And, of cource, there needs to be an indicator that automatically appears somewhere noticable when I first change the zoom.  One that's always on top and stays pinned.   :)

Freeware is preferred but not necessary.   :D     Sound familiar to anyone?    :)

IainB:
I am not all that familiar with Internet Explorer, but I just now verified that this works in my verison of Internet Explorer (IE9). At a guess, it would probably be a standard for most browsers/versions.

To get full control as you seem to need here, all you have to do is use these keys as described:

* Set Zoom to 100%: To set/restore the zoom level to 100% - either use menu items View | Zoom | 100%, or (much quicker) - press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the "0" (Zero) key once.
* Zoom Up: When you want to enlarge a particular page, press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the "+" (Plus) key once. That will zoom your page view up a step each time you press the "+" key. If you keep the "+" key held down it will step up through each zoom from where you were up to the highest zoom level.
* Zoom Down: When you want to diminish a particular page, press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the "-" (Minus) key once. That will zoom your page view down a step each time you press the "-" key. If you keep the "-" key held down it will step down through each zoom from where you were down to the lowest zoom level.
* Restore 100% Zoom: To restore any page view (whether enlarged or diminished) to 100% zoom level, press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the "0" (Zero) key once.
If you have zoomed a web page view up or down in a tabbed view, then each time you load another URL (address) into the same tab, the view will be maintained at that zoom level until you press "Ctrl and 0" together (as above).
If you have zoomed a web page view up or down in a tabbed view, and you open another tabbed view of another web page, then the default (100%) zoom level should automatically be applied. (I say "should", because I seem to recall having read somewhere that there might be a way to change this default behaviour.)

You can also zoom in and out by pressing the Ctrl key down whilst mouse-scrolling Up or Down, but this can be a bit laggy/jerky and imprecise (you don't necessarily know what % zoom level it is at), and it can sometimes induce motion sickness in some people.

kunkel321:
press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the "0" (Zero) key once.
-IainB (January 27, 2012, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is my new favorite thing!!! :Thmbsup:

IainB:
Yes, one of my favourites too - it's much-used by me.
A real timesaver.     

Stoic Joker:
I am not all that familiar with Internet Explorer, but I just now verified that this works in my verison of Internet Explorer (IE9). At a guess, it would probably be a standard for most browsers/versions.-IainB (January 27, 2012, 07:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, I've been using many of these since IE7. I actually like the Ctrl + Mouse wheel to zoom quickly, and then Ctrl + 0 (not the Num Pad one - It don't work) to get back to "normal".

They also mentioned wanting a "Zoom Indicator". Enable view statusbar and it will be in the bottom right-hand corner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version