ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is our perception of worth/value affected by venue?

<< < (5/5)

tomos:
Also, they chose a time least conducive to actually hanging around and listening to music. Probably because they wanted it to be a "disaster" so as they could gloat about the extremes.

OTOH:
I love live music myself - you hear some great stuff around here (smallish city) but people rarely if ever actually stop and listen. I dont know why exactly that is. I used to live in Dublin (much busier), and good buskers in the city centre would get huge crowds around them. Including me ;-)

I have ideas about the differences between the two: - cultural differences; less young people in the smaller city, it's more provincial; bigger city more open to different music(s)

TaoPhoenix:
Sorry, I consider this "already solved research", this is more of a "educate this year's class" kind of item.

The point of course is that relatively few things have "universal value", so when you purposely present the item out of its context, it converges closer to random. All jokes aside, this is how business even exists. An awesome example is the guys who discovered that "unusable" poultry discards could become Slim Jims.

Or how $300 jewelry drifts into yard sales for $10.

We're reacting because this was a "classical art" performance. But ya know? I don't care for that kind of music, so it might even become "negative value" to me if it was next to me on a subway!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version