ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

All-In-One Multi-Touch Computers - Thoughts?

<< < (2/12) > >>

40hz:
Just ran a quick rundown to configure a similar machine...

Acer AM3910-UR30P (PT.SDXP2.001) Desktop PC Intel Core i3 540(3.06GHz) 2GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity Intel HD Graphics Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit @ $360 (link)

All-in-one has the newer chipset - but for what your lady is going to be doing, it shouldn't matter.

Add in an additional 2GB DDR3 RAM to bring it to 4 total to match the spec @$25 (approx)

ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR) @$185 (link)

So $360+25+185 = $570 vs $799 for a total savings of $229. And that's without even checking for specials or seeing if any additional package deals or discounts are available. Yoiks!

So basically, it comes down to deciding if the form factor and touch capability are worth the price differential.

If you really have your heart set on a touchscreen - it's probably already a moot issue. So maybe an all-in-one is where you want to go based on this particular 'client' you're working with. ;D

Note: I'd definitely get the longest extended warranty they offer if you do decide to go down that road however. :tellme:

Luck! :Thmbsup:

----

On a related note: I'd also love to hear from anybody who has ever had the pleasure of cracking the case on one of these StarTrek boxes. Anybody? Anybody?

mouser:
Can't ask her because of
--- End quote ---

I don't know.. does seem like if the computer is for her you might at least try to ask her if she would prefer a laptop or a desktop.  if you know you are going to get a desktop, then there is no real harm in getting an all-in-one touch screen pc for her -- for the extra bucks it seems like you might as well, for your planned use.  but what 40hz says about a laptop being a better fit for many people is really true, so i wouldn't dismiss that choice.. a laptop is after all the ultimate all-in-one.

Stoic Joker:
Do you know anyone who has had to dig inside one of these AIO's?-J-Mac (January 25, 2012, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, me. And you don't want to. However we do have some of the HP (310-1124f) TouchSmart AIOs here at the office. We got them refurbed for like $500 each. and much as I'd planned on hating them - I fought Against using them for months - They really aren't that bad. I've got one of the 22" ones on the test bench running Windows 8 ... And it's doing a fine job of it.

I'm just dreading the day I have to crack the case as the last one I worked on was a total nightmare to even get into the thing. It actually took two people and a full day to change the F'ing video card.

40hz:
Can't ask her because of
--- End quote ---

I don't know.. does seem like if the computer is for her you might at least try to ask her if she would prefer a laptop or a desktop.  if you know you are going to get a desktop, then there is no real harm in getting an all-in-one touch screen pc for her -- for the extra bucks it seems like you might as well, for your planned use.  but what 40hz says about a laptop being a better fit for many people is really true, so i wouldn't dismiss that choice.. a laptop is after all the ultimate all-in-one.

-mouser (January 25, 2012, 01:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree with Mouser on involving her. If she doesn't think she needs it, she's gonna be pissed at you whether you ask her first or just show up with a box someday. So ... ;D

And regarding maintenance:

the last one I worked on was a total nightmare to even get into the thing. It actually took two people and a full day to change the F'ing video card.
-Stoic Joker (January 25, 2012, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ok...that's good enough for 40hz. Stoic's high on my list of reliable sources. And no slouch when it comes to rolling up sleeves. If he says it's a total nightmare - it's a total nightmare.

Count me out if one of these things ever breaks. (Sez 40hz, who is indulging in pure wishful thinking here. ;D )

J-Mac:
OK - I know she wouldn’t want a laptop because whenever she has used mine she bitched like crazy about it! Hates the smaller keyboard - says she can't get used to typing on it and makes far too many typos because of the smaller configuration. Also, since she loves playing PC games she says that she needs the full number pad. Now I realize that she could use an external keyboard and also an external number pad - I actually have both for my laptop - but let's face it: she's not going to lug it around with all that hanging from the laptop! For mobility she much prefers her iPad 2. So a laptop is pretty much out, though it is still close between the All-in-One and a standard desktop.

40hz - Thanks for the pricing from that you quoted; I shall review those now.   :)

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version