ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for password "scheme" suggestions

<< < (3/6) > >>

4wd:
Passphrase: Does cam low profile alter valve train component acceleration?
-4wd (January 26, 2012, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have to go with yes.-Stoic Joker (January 26, 2012, 06:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup:

Back OT, like I said, it's just one of a number of phrases/questions/etc that just stuck in my head over the last 30-40 years.  Another good source is taglines, god knows having spent a considerable number of hours on Usenet over the years there's tons floating around in my head  ;D

Keyboards at the KGB have no 'Escape' key...

J-Mac:
Slightly OT, but I use LastPass for my logins, and I also use Keepass to store a database of all my known logins, passwords, passphrases, etc. A big problem, though, is trying to keep the data somewhat synchronized!

Not all the data in Keepass is needed in LastPass, but I do want all of the LastPass data stored in Keepass. However I haven't found a way to automate this. At first I tried to gt all my LP data nice and correct after the initial import of Roboform data. Then I exported tht and imported it into Keepass. (First I exported the existing Keepass data to a csv file). Then I added the passphrase and other unique data back into Keepass. So at thqt point LP had all my web logins and Keepass had all of that plus all my other non-web data. Of course it all started crumbling from there! Mostly, as new and/or changed logins that occur in LP don't always get changed in Keepass also. I could just wipe my Keepass data regularly and replace it with the latest export from LP, but that doesn't cover my other Keepass data.

Ayone else find a way around this?

Thanks!

Jim

40hz:

For anything <20 characters, I use Password Card as mentioned here, kudos to joby_toss btw.
I have a pair of these laminated back to back, after using a password, (selected off them), a few times, I no longer need the card to look it up but it is there if I need it.

-4wd (January 26, 2012, 06:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

The card idea is a good one. We used to do a variant of that by creating a card using data generated using tools over at www.random.org  :-*

We'd then post it in the locked server room and pass out smaller pocket cards for the local server admins to use. All they neede to remember was a letter and two numbers for row, start position, and # of characters (ex: M-20-22).

It worked great until some idiots started highlighting their sequences so they'd be "easier to find."

And like a dummy, I always wondered why they'd ask us for fresh copies every other month when password changes were mandatory. Call me DUH!  :-\

Which further goes to show any security system is only as good as dumbest moron using it.

MerleOne:
Hi,
I had a small software developed by a colleague named Passwd (the app, not the colleague!), which does the following :

Enter a master key (hidden or not),

or

Enter a name, typically the name of the service/website you want to create a password for and you get a 8 symbols password

symbols being chosen within a-z and 0 to 9 (32m option); within A-Z  and 0-9 (32M option), and a mix of all printable chars (64 option)

then you can copy/paste it.

It's basically a hash function, deterministic and non-reversible.

This colleague, David, unfortunetaly, lost the visual basic source, so it's difficult to improve it...

I still use it 10 years or so after it was done ...

MerleOne:
BTW, alpha is *NOT* my master key.... :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version