ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Looking for password "scheme" suggestions

<< < (5/6) > >>

Shades:
@40hz:
It could be me, but I have the impression that most of the kids from today only know when "internet doesn't work" and that they (gladly) look to the previous generation to fix the problem they experience.

Besides that, I overheard some conversations between CS students (at a LAN party) how they solve networking issues and I was amazed about the bullcrap that came out of their (Microsoft-orientated) mouths. How they could come to their interpretation of the study material baffles me. Actually one of them is responsible for the IT in his fathers (fancy lawyer) office and already makes more than me. But he asked me to help out setting up the LAN for his LAN party, because he was not able to set it up properly.

It is really 'who you know, not what you know' that gets you ahead over here in these parts of the world.
[/off-topic]

[on-topic]
Personally I use a set of difficult passwords and mix-and-match them how I see fit, adding a random number and/or symbol. No-one that knows me is able to guess or deduce what the (complete) base set of my passwords is and adding mix-and-match....well, good luck! The numbers and/or symbols are there to comply with security definitions.

Not the best of schemes (by far!) but it is one I have no trouble remembering, makes for quite "messy" passwords and soothes my paranoia sufficiently.

And I agree wholeheartedly with the earlier statement which says where your password is stored is just as important as its difficulty.

Hence I trust my mind and ability to not communicate passwords best as those are under my control, while storage on servers isn't.
Besides, there is not much to keep secret and being (happily) without credit card I don't have an on-line access point to my money anyway.

40hz:
O.T. ALERT !!! Feel free to skip the following post. You have been WARNED!!!

@40hz:
It could be me, but I have the impression that most of the kids from today only know when "internet doesn't work" and that they (gladly) look to the previous generation to fix the problem they experience.

Besides that, I overheard some conversations between CS students (at a LAN party) how they solve networking issues and I was amazed about the bullcrap that came out of their (Microsoft-orientated) mouths. How they could come to their interpretation of the study material baffles me. Actually one of them is responsible for the IT in his fathers (fancy lawyer) office and already makes more than me. But he asked me to help out setting up the LAN for his LAN party, because he was not able to set it up properly.
-Shades (January 27, 2012, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's been my impression more often than not.

But in the world of tech, the "digital plumbers" (as I like to think of myself) are fairly rare. You either love it and "get it" or you don't. If it's not for you, I won't fault you. But please don't come bothering me because you're simply too lazy to learn something about basic networking. It's not particle physics. I can teach a chimpanzee everything it needs to know in a few hours. And that includes having the chimp set up a basic secure network and a file/print server for itself. (Maybe even glom down some pizza and get in a quick few rounds of Snood while we're at it!) And then get chimp-boy/girl to repeat doing it two more times just so we're sure it wasn't luck.

Network and server technology isn't hard. Video and graphic applications are ten times harder to get good at. And most kids are great at those. So I'm skeptical of excuses about not being able to learn basic data network skills because "it's too hard."

It isn't. So grow up.

It is really 'who you know, not what you know' that gets you ahead over here in these parts of the world.

--- End quote ---

Pretty true most places I would guess.

In the USA there's enough of the shadow of a hint of a whisper of a meritocracy that it's kept its people from generally taking up arms for about the last 150 years. Or at least in most places. A stable economy and a high standard of living covers a multitude of sins.

What the future will bring, however, is anybody's guess. :tellme:

kyrathaba:
You're all a bit paranoid. I just use the word "password" for all my passwords. It's never failed me yet...

Stoic Joker:
You're all a bit paranoid. I just use the word "password" for all my passwords. It's never failed me yet...
-kyrathaba (January 27, 2012, 09:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

What? I thought Open Sesame was the universal password...  :D

rgdot:
I use justtryandguessmypassword everywhere  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version