ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ends Privacy

<< < (5/16) > >>

urlwolf:
This is why I use DuckDuckGo. No tracking. Period.

Eóin:
Simple answer is to login to YouTube etc. with a different account.
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2012, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: That's the plan.
-Cloq (January 25, 2012, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why though, all they're doing is aggregating their profile on the types of topics/things you Google with the types of videos you like to watch. Something I'd assumed they always did.

Cloq:
Simple answer is to login to YouTube etc. with a different account.
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2012, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: That's the plan.
-Cloq (January 25, 2012, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why though, all they're doing is aggregating their profile on the types of topics/things you Google with the types of videos you like to watch. Something I'd assumed they always did.
-Eóin (January 25, 2012, 05:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Meh, I don't want some software(or person) to profile my likes/dislikes without my consent. I don't want to be inundated with various youtube crap that google "extrapolates" based on my random searches or whatnot.

Now if Google were to give me a commission on my data.. things might be slightly different. j/k ;D

There is a reason why I use ad blockers and session only cookies.

mahesh2k:
You mean they weren't already doing this?
--- End quote ---

No. None of our service accounts were connected to g+ before but now they are connected and they're making search a garbage by fetching the data from our contacts and searched terms. Social search is what they're doing since past 6 month, not from the beginning of the search.

What do I care if the services I am already using, separately, share data amongst themselves?
--- End quote ---

Gmail contacts, Gooogle reader, Youtube likes and search terms data is in use among multiple google services. This change is official as per their new privacy policy. This was not the case before (publicly) but they're enforcing this change from march.

4wd:
Also one should realise too that you can view the profile Google has built up on you and request that they no longer use targeted ads.-Eóin (January 25, 2012, 04:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

Silly question, but how do you view it ?

Just interested, I doubt I'll have one since I only use GMail via POP3/IMAP, any Google Analytics scripts are blocked and cookies are anonymised.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version