ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ends Privacy

<< < (4/16) > >>

Eóin:
You mean they weren't already doing this?

Deozaan:
Since when was it a problem for companies who provide you with multiple services to know what services they provide you with and use/consolidate that information in their efforts to provide you service? It's actually quite convenient e.g. for my bank to let me access information about all my accounts at once, including facilitating transfers from one of my accounts to another.
-Deozaan (January 25, 2012, 01:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do you feel the same way about Google providing you with different search results based on what they think you're looking for - or more accurately, what they think you should look at first?

Because that's what they now do.

:)-40hz (January 25, 2012, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I have a problem with the search results I get from Google it isn't hard to use Bing or Scroogle or Yahoo! or DuckDuckGo or a slew of other search engines. In the meantime, I can enjoy the convenience of many consolidated services that integrate information I have willingly given them to make my experience better.

e.g. If I receive an e-mail about an event happening on a certain date at a certain time, then it is convenient when Google offers to add it to my calendar, since I also use Google Calendar.

Josh:
I am with Deozaan on this one. I created the account, I added the data, I continue to use Google, I inherently agreed to the plethora of privacy policies.

I fail to see the issue here. I know that Google has made various services which I now love and enjoy. Their search is fantastic, the email client, calendar, docs app and various other small tools are great. What do I care if the services I am already using, separately, share data amongst themselves?

Eóin:
Also one should realise too that you can view the profile Google has built up on you and request that they no longer use targeted ads.

I looked at my profile and found it very benign, basically they'd identified what music I like, that I'm into C++ programming, etc. All very broad stuff. Admittedly you're relying on them being honest in disclosing what they know, but nonetheless I have found my paranoia has subsided of late.

Cloq:
Simple answer is to login to YouTube etc. with a different account.
-Carol Haynes (January 25, 2012, 02:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup: That's the plan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version