ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ends Privacy

<< < (2/16) > >>

40hz:
Hasn't Google recently started force-registering you for GMail and Google+ as a condition of creating any new account? (Link here.)

New Google Accounts Require Gmail and Google+

If you try to create a Google account from Google's homepage, you'll notice that Google redesigned the page, but that's not all. You'll now have to create a Gmail account, a Google Profile and you'll automatically join Google+.

Until now, creating a Google account was quite simple. You could either use an existing email address or create a Gmail account. The redesigned form includes new fields: name, gender (required for Google+) and mobile phone number (not required).
--- End quote ---

They've definitely taken away any anonymity you used to have. And by shoving you into G+, it's also become fairly easy to loose a great deal of privacy if you're not careful.

Jive move Google! When are you merging with Facebook? :down: >:(

Deozaan:
I don't see what the problem is.

If you use more than one service with Google, you want Google to pretend they don't know that you use those other Google services?

Since when was it a problem for companies who provide you with multiple services to know what services they provide you with and use/consolidate that information in their efforts to provide you service? It's actually quite convenient e.g. for my bank to let me access information about all my accounts at once, including facilitating transfers from one of my accounts to another.

But it seems you'd prefer your bank to only allow you to log into one account at a time and for each account to not know any details about any other accounts you have or even the fact that you have other accounts with the same bank at all. :huh:

Stoic Joker:
Ya know... The more privacy issues that crop up around this target advertising thing ... The more I realize that the 80s tampon commercials weren't nearly as annoying as I'd thought.
-Stoic Joker (January 25, 2012, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, they were less annoying than the ones today.  They stated their point, and you winced and it was over.  The ones today, you can watch the whole commercial and have no idea of what you were watching until later it goes off while you're doing something else.  And those delayed winces can happen at bad times...-wraith808 (January 25, 2012, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that! Most of the advertising these days leaves you sitting there wondering WTF was that all about? No name, logo, or product mentioned...just a big gush of fan fair about some wondrously unspecified mystery thing.

Quick! Run out and buy a damnifiknow ... Why??!?

Carol Haynes:
Simple answer is to login to YouTube etc. with a different account.

mouser:
It's hard for me to get worked up about these privacy issues.. I'm not sure why, they just don't seem to bother me.

Now I happen to think google is out of control and harmful for other reasons i have written about -- and believe that their greed and need to dig their nails deep into every thing in order to ensure they can never be dislodged from their position as an unstoppable advertising machine is disgusting.  But the privacy stuff is the least of my concerns..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version