ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Ends Privacy

(1/16) > >>

Renegade:
Sigh...

Here we go again...

(Seriously... Like WTF?!? This stuff comes out like twice a day now!)  :-\

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/24/google-to-update-its-privacy-policies-and-terms-of-service/

The new privacy policy makes clear that for people logged into a Google account, Google can use information shared on one service in other Google services.

“If you’re signed in, we may combine information you’ve provided from one service with information from other services,” Alma Whitten, Google’s director of privacy for product and engineering, wrote in a company blog post . “In short, we’ll treat you as a single user across all our products, which will mean a simpler, more intuitive Google experience.”
--- End quote ---

There is no opt out as far as I understand.

etc. etc. etc.

:-\

rgdot:
I don't disagree with sentiments about privacy but

Before:
gmail served me ads based on the content of email

Now:
gmail might also base the ads on the youtube video I watched?

Frankly the 'before' is bad enough. In years past it has crossed my mind to leave google, this new policy doesn't really change it all that much.

Stoic Joker:
Ya know... The more privacy issues that crop up around this target advertising thing ... The more I realize that the 80s tampon commercials weren't nearly as annoying as I'd thought.

Renegade:
Ya know... The more privacy issues that crop up around this target advertising thing ... The more I realize that the 80s tampon commercials weren't nearly as annoying as I'd thought.
-Stoic Joker (January 25, 2012, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Potentially offensive commentYeah... and those were a bloody mess! :P

wraith808:
-Stoic Joker (January 25, 2012, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, they were less annoying than the ones today.  They stated their point, and you winced and it was over.  The ones today, you can watch the whole commercial and have no idea of what you were watching until later it goes off while you're doing something else.  And those delayed winces can happen at bad times...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version