ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software Uninstallers

(1/3) > >>

MrCrispy:
A few issues I want to talk about -

1. Is the uninstaller in Windows enough? 3rd party uninstallers just call the same entry point to uninstall anyway, all they do is have a nicer GUI and maybe list more stuff.

2. Uninstallers that work by diffing - i.e. taking a snapshot before and after install, then comparing. Are these reliable? There's too much going on in the OS, and no way to determine what's related to the app you're installing, or is just additional filesystem/registry activity.

3. Does Windows even support true uninstalling? I say not. Because every single program that has a trial version leaves behind remnants, so you can't install it again and restart the trial.  And many programs never uninstall properly. e.g. crap like Acronis TrueImage, and leave behind tons of stuff.

cyberdiva:
1. Is the uninstaller in Windows enough? 3rd party uninstallers just call the same entry point to uninstall anyway, all they do is have a nicer GUI and maybe list more stuff.
-MrCrispy (January 24, 2012, 04:06 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm not in a position to address all the questions you asked (though I think there was a thread not long ago on DC about uninstallers that take snapshots before and after).  I just want to say that I much prefer Revo Uninstaller to the Windows uninstaller.  I've used both the free and the paid version of Revo, and both of them do a better job than Windows, IMHO.  It's true that Revo uses the same uninstaller that Windows does, but Revo then goes on to scan the computer for leftover files and folders AND scans the registry for leftover registry entries.  This latter is what I appreciate most.  Very infrequently I decide to leave some registry entries that Revo claims I can delete, but most of the time I simply follow its advice, and I've never been sorry (knock on wood).

rgdot:
I would say yes worth it, not all but something like Revo Uninstaller for example. Uninstalling is sometimes 'intentionally bad' for reasons like trial info. From a non-programmer's (me) perspective I see a difference between uninstalling files and removing registry entries and shared files (dll, etc.).

MrCrispy:
I think this is how it roughly works -

- Program X lists stuff in its msi manifest that it needs - these are files, registry entries etc. Windows Installer creates these, or checks they exist etc
- When it runs, X creates more stuff. Windows has no knowledge of these
- When you uninstall, stuff in the manifest is removed. Rest is left alone
- Programs like Revo do a scan of the registry looking for references to the program path, its known reg entries etc, and try to remove orphaned entries

It's all extremely inelegant and error prone. Even Microsoft has finally given up the idea of shared install binaries with Windows 8 - Metro mandates a single app folder with all the binaries it needs contained within.

Ath:
This all proves that 'mere' developers should leave software installation to pro's. And they shouldn't be messing with msi's either ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version