ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Calibre - e-Book (Personal Library/Document) Management - Mini-Review

<< < (8/9) > >>

IainB:
@dspelley: As you get your eBooks onto your local PC disk, I suggest you one-way mirror them in real-time to a backup folder. I use RealTimeSync for this - it is a discrete part of FreeFileSync (see FreeFileSync - automated backup - Mini-Review).

I do this because I have Amazon's PC-Kindle software (as well as a Kindle), which holds the eBooks in a folder. The folder (library) is automatically updated simultaneously by any changes made to my Amazon cloud-based Kindle eBook library account and the same changes are automatically replicated/updated simultaneously to my Kindle device via "Whisper" updates. Thus, if Amazon should (say) decide to erase one of my Kindle DRM eBook titles, then it will disappear simultaneously from all 3 places:

* the Amazon cloud-based Kindle eBook library account.
* the Kindle device.
* the PC-Kindle library. - and there's little I can do to stop it or control it.

Using RealTimeSync in the way described above means that I have a secure backup copy of every single file and update  made to the PC-Kindle library. This backup thus becomes my Primary library, and the 3 Kindle stores become Secondary (and expendable) libraries - expendable because they can always be restored from the Primary library.
Calibre can be set to de-DRM those eBooks (including Kindle titles) in the Primary library/backup, so I could read any of my Kindle titles (including any that have been auto-deleted by Amazon) with other eBook reading devices/software, if I wished. This would not necessitate any reliance on, or changes to the 3 "Secondary" libraries/places mentioned above.

The trick is to remember to always have RealTimeSync running when you operate the the PC-Kindle library reader.

I presume the same approach would work for any brand of eBook reader where there is proprietary DRM-enforcement.

IainB:
Calibre has been progressively updated to v0.9.24.
I have put the updated/new features into the Opening Post.

xtabber:
I think wraith808 must be right about the downloaded data being in some other partition.  I've looked through the Nook folder structure in Explorer (with hidden files and folders displayed) and can only find a "Books" folder containing my sideloaded ePub files - no WiFi-downloaded files. The other folders contain .jpg files of the book covers, or annotation files.

The B&N website will put the WiFi-downloaded files into an online library. From there I can download them to a folder on my PC, and then import them into the Calibre library. In Calibre, the library will mark those files that are also on the reader, but since it can't see all of the books on the reader it doesn't mark all of them.

I've also tried using Adobe Digital Editions, and even the Nook desktop reader software. Neither of them show the WiFi-downloaded files.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!
-dspelley (February 04, 2013, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
On a Nook reader or tablet, there is indeed a separate partition for downloaded B&N content. You cannot access it unless you root the Nook device.

On a PC, any book you open to read in Nook for PC is downloaded to \My Documents\My Barnes & Noble eBooks\[Your_B&N_Login_Name].

IainB:
Updated 2013-06-29: Changes to opening post aligned with latest version 0.9.37.
See details of changes in the link to the Change Log in the table.

IainB:
Update 2013-12-21:
Added note for v1.16 (latest).
See list of new features by version: http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new
--- End quote ---

Some potentially very useful new features, Still exploring them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version