ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Calibre - e-Book (Personal Library/Document) Management - Mini-Review

<< < (7/9) > >>

IainB:
Do other eBook readers "hide" files depending on how they were acquired? Any idea why these books would be hidden?
-dspelley (February 04, 2013, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not sure I entirely understand this. The Windows system cannot "hide" files unless you have that set as an option/default in your file manager.
Got to Windows Explorer |Tools|Folder Options|View and scroll down to this bit (see image below) and check whether your settings are the same/similar. The idea is to make sure that the system is only "hiding" what you might not be interested in seeing on a day-to-day basis.

Can you see the files in Windows Explorer? (Whether downloaded by WiFi or USB?)

The only suggestion I can make, if you have full visibility of all the files, is that maybe Calibre is looking in the "wrong" directory/folder for where the files are. The files themselves may have obscure names unrelated to their content, but a recognisable file extension is what Calibre would be looking for.
Otherwise, maybe they are somehow being given a file extension that Calibre does not recognise.

dspelley:
Thanks for the input.  I'll have to dig around more in the Nook file system when I get home. But as I recall when I last looked, I found a folder that has all of the ePub files that I transferred to the Nook using my USB cable, but none of the files that were downloaded directly to the Nook using the built-in WiFi.  I looked in the other folders, but don't remember seeing any other files that looked like ebook files. 

When asking about this on the Calibre User Forum I also got this reply.  No. The nook does not make any files downloaded from B&N visible via the USB connection.
--- End quote ---

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "Visible" in this context. Are they hidden (in the sense of a file attribute being set)? Are they in a location Cailbre (or Windows Explorer) cannot access? Are they in some other format?

When I connect my Nook via the USB cable, two new icons appear on the Calibre menu bar. One is an icon for my Nook, the other is an icon for an SD card that is in my Nook.

If I click on the SD card icon, I see the ePub files that are stored there. If I click on the Nook icon, I see the books that I transferred there via USB cable, but I do not see any books that were downloaded via WiFi.

Sorry - didn't mean to make this into a Cailbre/Nook "how to" forum.

wraith808:
From what I understand from my Nook, the Nook has three separate locations- the area where it stores its own files and the files from its store, the space for sideloaded documents in its internal memory, and the SD card area.  It is possible that the two areas in its internal memory are partitioned or in some other way segregated so that Windows can mount one area, but the other is not visible to the OS as a mountable partition.

40hz:
Did you try looking at it using Linux? Many times that will reveal things hidden from Windows. Especially if your gadget uses a non-Windows format (like ext3 or ext4) for its directories/disk.

Just be forewarned, I did a little snooping in my iPhone that way - and just copying photos off it onto my drive made them unreadable on my iPhone afterwards. Had to delete them all and then put the ones I wanted back on.

dspelley:
I think wraith808 must be right about the downloaded data being in some other partition.  I've looked through the Nook folder structure in Explorer (with hidden files and folders displayed) and can only find a "Books" folder containing my sideloaded ePub files - no WiFi-downloaded files. The other folders contain .jpg files of the book covers, or annotation files.

The B&N website will put the WiFi-downloaded files into an online library. From there I can download them to a folder on my PC, and then import them into the Calibre library. In Calibre, the library will mark those files that are also on the reader, but since it can't see all of the books on the reader it doesn't mark all of them.

I've also tried using Adobe Digital Editions, and even the Nook desktop reader software. Neither of them show the WiFi-downloaded files.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version