ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review: RightNote

<< < (2/3) > >>

rjbull:
I'll just add that RightNote imports KeyNote files very well and is a fine replacement for it.-tranglos (January 23, 2012, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Import of KeyNote files into other programs is currently a sore point with me.  I have data currently in MemPad, which I'm trying to get into other programs.  MemPad can export a plain text file in a sensible format, which can be easily massaged into a Treepad Lite HJT file.  It looks right in Treepad Lite, and seems to import correctly into UltraRecall.  KeyNote can import the HJT.  Sometimes the files look right in KeyNote, and the tree always seems correct, but usually some of the notes are blank.  I don't know why.  I wondered if KeyNote's import was getting confused about RTF vs. plain text.  It's put semicolons in front of all the text inside one node, which I understand KeyNote does to any note that's been marked as plain text.  There isn't a "%" on a line by itself.  I don't see why KeyNote would only mark some nodes as plain text when the whole file is plain text, yet wrap most of the body text in RTF tokens.

In some cases, when I tried saving a file, this error message appeared:Virtual node "ABCZ typing abbreviation system - John Knowles" in note "software" cannot write file

Cannot create file
--- End quote ---
and that's one of the nodes that failed.  But it isn't what I would consider a virtual node.  It contains a URL, but so do other nodes that imported correctly.

Both AllMyNotes and RightNote fail in much the same way as KeyNote.  I've been through several iterations of this, and am losing the plot!  :(

tranglos:
KeyNote can import the HJT.  Sometimes the files look right in KeyNote, and the tree always seems correct, but usually some of the notes are blank.  I don't know why.  I wondered if KeyNote's import was getting confused about RTF vs. plain text.
-rjbull (January 23, 2012, 10:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I wrote that import procedure 10 years ago. Even a minor later change in HJT file format may be causing all sorts of trouble, I'm afraid.

rjbull:
I wrote that import procedure 10 years ago. Even a minor later change in HJT file format may be causing all sorts of trouble, I'm afraid.-tranglos (January 23, 2012, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually, I started by massaging my output file into a form that the free-standing KeyNote importer kntconvert.exe (dated 2002...) could handle, without using Treepad at all, and that also worked.  But to get an output file imported reasonably into AMN or RN, I had to export it from KeyNote as a (freeware) Treepad Lite-type HJT, then make a new KN file, and re-import the HJT into it!  You can see why I'm bemused  :o

I used a 2004 description for Treepad HJT.  The only tags I used were basic:
Header: <Treepad version 3.0>
dt=Text
<node>
Node title
Level
Node close: <end node> 5P9i0s8y19Z

That was enough to allow import into UltraRecall.  The default type is Text, but I had to explicitly state dt=Text before UR would do it.

Still, even your KeyNote years are long ago  :)

rjbull:
Recording my further efforts at converting a MemPad file for import into RightNote or Keynote:

Whether I ran kntconvert.exe on an indented file, or converted my source file into an HJT and imported it into KeyNote itself, I got similar results.  The KNT file from either process had RTF body text for the first few nodes, but then the converters forgot all about RTF and made everything plain text.  Importing the files into RightNote or AllMyNotes gave the correct tree structure, but non-RTF notes were blank, and they were in the great majority.

I cut the Gordian knot by making another script that converted MemPad's output file directly into a KNT file.  It's a terrible kludge because I don't know anything about RTF.  I cribbed the RTF tags from one of KeyNote's support files, fileformat.knt.  But it seems to work; I ended up with files that appeared to import correctly into both RightNote and AllMyNotes.  There are over 1000 nodes, so I haven't checked them all, but things look right.

TucknDar:
Hi,

Any contact with the authors requesting a DC discount ... or asking when something will happen somewhere. Its a good program, I would like the Professional, however $60 is big investment when there are so many good programs.

Steven
-Steven Avery (January 22, 2012, 10:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seconded. The freeware version is actually very good and contains the most important features, but a discount would definitely make me buy the standard version or possibly even the Professional.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version