ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A call to all game design afficionados. Framework for making simple games?

<< < (3/3)

kilele:
for 3d you might be interested in these two engines
unity3d.com
3drad.com

mahesh2k:
I think none of the editor based solutions are going to work for you. Most of these tools are made with indie developers in mind. I think you need to use custom solution or maybe you can start from scratch using python or some other language like c++ ?

iphigenie:
I dont have the links handy but there are entire libraries of free reusable game art and assets both for 2d and 3d out there :)

40hz:
Take a look at Bryan Lunduke's Illumination Software Creator available from Radical Breeze.

They don't offer a trial version per se. It runs about $50 - but they offer a full no-questions money-back guarantee.

You can also download a free Linux live CD full version (it's multi-platform) if you'd like to give it a workout. Download here.

You can see Bryan doing a long discussion/presentation about it on YouTube:

This might be what you're looking for. :)

tinjaw:
It still feels to me that these game frameworks are aiming at 'arcade' or 'point and shoot'-type games.
-urlwolf (January 30, 2012, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yep. That's what game frameworks are. They're to do the 2D/3D stuff that you need to build a game. As the stuff besides the 2D/3D stuff is already available with the core libraries.

Apart from dragging and dropping things, writing an answer to a question is the most common behavior. The time pressure component is important, but so is the collaboration (or competition) in real time
-urlwolf (January 30, 2012, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

So, you don't need a game framework. You are just building a standard application, a.k.a. a business application. Nothing in that description is specific to games and thus would not require a game framework.

So I would contend that you are looking for one of two things. Either a purpose-built application that creates the type of "multimedia" application you want or a visual programming tool like 40Hz linked to avoid building it in a text editor.

That said, I would suggest taking the things you have already built (with the tools you had) and finding the common elements of those designs and then solicit the various universities and such to find students that are willing to create such an application as an open source project. If such a tool would be of aid to people learning a topic, I am sure the universities will be interested.

But, if you are now thinking, "Well, yeah... That is what I am asking for. i.e. an application to build these 'games' quickly. So you are just saying, in order to build it you must build it." Then I would say that in the most basic form you are asking the general question "How do I make custom programs quickly with the least effort and not having to learn some new programming stuff?"  And the answer I would reply with is do exactly what you are doing. Namely just use the stuff you already know how to use to McGyver up some prototypes that are good enough to determine if the project is worth "spending more resources" on. If it is, then hire/find a programmer that can build stuff for you quickly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version