ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

As a counter-point to the SOPA/PIPA demonstration

<< < (9/21) > >>

Eóin:
I'm never quite sure where I stand on the idea of Johnny Joe sharing a copy of an album he bought with Jimmy Bob down the road. Frankly I find it difficult say they are doing anything wrong.

On the other hand MegaUpload and similar sites are profiting by distributing other peoples works. Once you make money, you're no longer sharing, and you deserve to be stopped.

wraith808:
On the other hand MegaUpload and similar sites are profiting by distributing other peoples works. Once you make money, you're no longer sharing, and you deserve to be stopped.
-Eóin (January 22, 2012, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... no.  They're profiting by giving space and bandwidth to people to share whatever they want.  They aren't distributing anything.

For instance... I have a friend that does his own music.  He used megaupload to store backups of works in progress, and allow others to get them.  His backups are gone now.  (He still has them, and can use another service... but still...)

Renegade:
-Eóin (January 22, 2012, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... no.  They're profiting by giving space and bandwidth to people to share whatever they want.  They aren't distributing anything.

For instance... I have a friend that does his own music.  He used megaupload to store backups of works in progress, and allow others to get them.  His backups are gone now.  (He still has them, and can use another service... but still...)
-wraith808 (January 22, 2012, 06:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

There's a difference between the act and the technology used in the act.

The same thing goes for guns. i.e. Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

You can't blame a beer bottle for assault. You can't blame a a car for drunk driving.

Guilt by association is a weak argument at best, but it doesn't transfer to inanimate objects/things/code/software.

Piracy is a symptom of a disease. It isn't the disease itself. Cure the disease, and you'll curtail most piracy. (The disease being lack of access/means to legitimate means to get digital content. This is a very involved issue that I don't think we should get into as it is simply too charged with politics.)

Eóin:
Well it would be interesting to know what percentage of content on MegaUpload was legal v illegal.

The disease being lack of access/means to legitimate means to get digital content.-Renegade (January 22, 2012, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes and no. There is an 'entitled' generation growing up for whom they very concept of paying for music doesn't make sense. Pretending that, when offered with a very convenient means to buy music, they will choose too is as big lie as the ones Big Content are spewing.

40hz:
Well it would be interesting to know what percentage of content on MegaUpload was legal v illegal.

The disease being lack of access/means to legitimate means to get digital content.-Renegade (January 22, 2012, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes and no. There is an 'entitled' generation growing up for whom they very concept of paying for music doesn't make sense. Pretending that, when offered with a very convenient means to buy music, they will choose too is as big lie as the ones Big Content are spewing.
-Eóin (January 23, 2012, 08:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agree 100%.

Some people operate out of an innate sense of returning value for value received - and many don't.

Returning value is an adult concept. Some never reach that level of personal maturity.

Considering how much our society has become accepting of childish behaviors it's hardly surprising.  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version