ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Apps alternatives for LInux

<< < (5/6) > >>

sword:
ewemoa: I'm interested and I downloaded HFS.deb to my desktop in Knoppix. I would probably use it in Kubuntu or Mint since both say they are Debian based.

This branching to Linux topics is very welcome.

40hz:
I'm not familiar with whether / how well .deb files made for Debian will work on Ubuntu, but FWIW, the following is what I have for a recent beta for HFS:

-ewemoa (February 05, 2012, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

DEBs generally work fine in Ubuntu or Mint since they are Debian under the hood. The generic DEBs may not work as well as packages specifically tweaked for your distro since many of them go off in their own directions with desktops and windows manager customizations. About the worst thing you'll run into is a dependency issue (missing or version problems).

What might cause you more of a problem is the beta status of what you're installing.

If it were in your distro's repository, the worst that might happen would be it acting flaky or crashing - in which case you just uninstall it. With a DEB however there's a very small, but very real chance of it breaking something if it stomps on a customized 'something' in your installation. More of a chance that could happen since it's a beta package.

So proceed with maybe just a tiny bit caution... :)

ewemoa:
I'm interested and I downloaded HFS.deb to my desktop in Knoppix. I would probably use it in Kubuntu or Mint since both say they are Debian based.
-sword (February 06, 2012, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please let me know how it goes if you give it a try.

ewemoa:
The generic DEBs may not work as well as packages specifically tweaked for your distro since many of them go off in their own directions with desktops and windows manager customizations. About the worst thing you'll run into is a dependency issue (missing or version problems).
-40hz (February 06, 2012, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the hints and tips!

mahesh2k:
I'll get right on your deb file, have to fix my linux box.

In between, I was planning to use pyside for porting some of the coding snacks apps to linux. Only issue here is that I have trouble working with pyside on windows right now. I'll update shortly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version