ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Apps alternatives for LInux

<< < (2/6) > >>

Rover:
You could spend some time getting conversant with the Bourne Shell if you're looking for similar functionality. That's what they put it in there for. :) ;)
 (see attachment in previous post)
And ignore those odd-looking people who will tell you anything you can possibly want to do can be done better and faster in EMACS.
It probably can. But you don't want to start hanging out with that crew. ;D
-40hz (January 19, 2012, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
:lol:  emacs is a world unto itself.   You might want to learn vi  just because it's available 99.99% of the time.

cranioscopical:
Aren't emacs what are worn by dirty old men on the internet?

40hz:
Aren't emacs what are worn by dirty old men on the internet?
-cranioscopical (January 19, 2012, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

No. Those are eeeeew!!!-macs I think.

Which usually come with a pair of crepe-soled (creep-souled?) shoes.

Don't be afraid. Be very afraid. ;D

Edvard:
Aw smokes, not another emacs vs. vi thread :nono2:
Just for the record...I use Nano! :harhar:

Congrats on coming over to the dark side, mahesh, I and others here are at your service should you need it.
On that note...

Gnome-Do is, I think, the closest to what FARR does, and Docky is it's launchbar cousin.
Keep in mind it is written in Mono, which some find unappealing, but that also means If you're familiar with C#/.NET, then you'll probably find it easier to tweak/extend/bugfix.
KRunner is the KDE counterpart.
Launchy, Synapse, and Kupfer are alternatives.

There really isn't an alternative to URL Snooper, aside from the online video download services.
Maybe there's a Firefox extension that does something similar?

AutoHotKey is hard to beat, but there are quite a few powerful scripting languages readily available in most Linux distros, in fact perhaps too many.
(G)Awk+sed, Perl, and Lex/Yacc + Flex/Bison are all classics that deserve a look for their powerful regular-expression integration.
Python you already know, Ruby, Lua, Tcl/Tk, are some higher-level ones you might get familiar with, though they all have their quirks and advantages.
PyGTK would be the alternative to PySide, though I'll admit Qt takes the prize for cross-compatibility.
Glade makes for a good alternative to QtCreator as well.

If you just need to pass a few infos to your shell scripts via simple dialog boxes, Zenity or it's fork Yad will do quite nicely.

40hz:
Aw smokes, not another emacs vs. vi thread :nono2:
-Edvard (January 19, 2012, 07:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hope not. I don't think DC has enough bandwidth or storage space for one of those pointless debates. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version