ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

DC Apps alternatives for LInux

<< < (3/6) > >>

rssapphire:

* AHK? (not ironahk)-mahesh2k (January 19, 2012, 02:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I nice AHK-like program for Linux is Autokey. It uses Python as its scripting language but is otherwise similar in function to AHK: "AutoKey is a desktop automation utility for Linux and X11. It allows you to manage collection of scripts and phrases, and assign abbreviations and hotkeys to these. This allows you to execute a script or insert text on demand in whatever program you are using. AutoKey features a subset of the capabilities of the popular Windows-based AutoHotkey, but is not intended as a full replacement. For a Linux-based implementation of AutoHotkey, see IronAHK."

Rover:
LMAO... vi vs. emacs... not from me!  It's all personal preference.

Would that all of DC loved Linux as much as some of us do. :)

I'm just thinking first DC, next the world...

There are some places that Linux falls flat in usability.  Maybe the happy hackers at DC can correct that ;)

I currently work for large, top xx corp where we started rolling Linux almost 3 years ago.  Today we have 1,350+ servers, we have version control, configuration management, central management, etc. 

<tooting my own horn>
We are the only platform to pass internal audit, and we did it the first time around.  Hey -- We had a green field and the whole of google to tell us what to do.  I'm just the guy who took advantage of it :)
</toot>

Server Linux is 100% ready to rule the world.

Desktop, not so much....  DC to the rescue!  :P

mahesh2k:
Thanks edvard, rover, 40hz, rssaphire for help. It feels much clutterless while using linux desktop instead of windows atleast for now. I don't have av yet and i don't think i need it as of now. Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?

40hz:
Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?
-mahesh2k (January 21, 2012, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Tons.

I'm partial to Radio Tray. Don't know if it will fit the bill for you, but it's pretty much what I use for background streaming internet radio. It's not blinged out that much. But that's one of the reasons I like it since I'm not a 'dial' twiddler. I tend to do a "set & forget" when I find a channel I like.

It's also in the repositories of many distros, so you shouldn't need to hunt it down.

Alternatively, you can do a keyword search in your distro's package manager and see what's available. Since it doesn't really cost you anything but time to try several, there's bound to be something lurking in there that will work for you.

A fairly decent list of Linux based audio apps can be found here and here.

A good general guide to Linux audio can be found here.

Any other questions or things we NIXers can help you with, just let us know. :) :Thmbsup:

Edvard:
Thanks edvard, rover, 40hz, rssaphire for help.-mahesh2k (January 21, 2012, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
No problem, always glad to help
 Anyway, I listen to radiosure trance channels and often record the sets. Is there any radiosure alternative or similar software for linux?

--- End quote ---
Like 40Hz said, there are tons, but if you want to record what you're listening to, and you know the address of your favorite streams, check these out:
http://lifehacker.com/263493/record-streaming-radio-with-streamripper-and-streamtuner
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/streaming.html

I've used streamripper on Windows before, and they are right, some overlap happens.
Shouldn't be a huge deal with long DJ sets though...
Don't know about mplayer, never used it.
Some people seem to think it's quite awesome, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version