ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

<< < (12/16) > >>

app103:
Google just petered out. Their effort was just f*****g lame.
-Renegade (January 20, 2012, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was rather frustrated that they didn't even make an effort to make it easier for those using their Blogger service to opt in to blacking out their blogs. They couldn't add a blackout option to their control panel to make it easy? I don't think I was asking too much from a company that voiced opposition to SOPA and had the means to do this.

I was rather angry that I had to go through the trouble to code a special template to do it. I shouldn't have had to do that.

However, I was amused by thisSomeone released a tiny little piece of javascript code that bloggers could add to their existing template that would redirect their visitors to my template demo page, rather than having to apply the actual template itself.  ;D

http://www.geneabloggers.com/blackout-blog-sopa/

40hz:
I don't think I was asking too much from a company that voiced opposition to SOPA and had the means to do this.
-app103 (January 21, 2012, 12:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get the distinct impression "word" probably got passed back to the Big Players that Uncle Sam would greatly appreciate it if they downplayed the thing since the Legislature had already made what they no doubt felt was a conciliatory gesture by taking the bills off the table. Temporarily.

Google has already demonstrated a certain willingness to go along with government "requests" while publicly wringing their hands and protesting there's nothing they can do since "the law is the law."

That argument worked for Google over their accommodations with China. And without them getting too big a black eye over it. So why not use the same argument here, where there's nothing anyone could point at, to show this might (and likely did) happen?

I thought it was interesting that when China started insisting on their bamboo curtain the US government was very quiet about it. And what little complaint there was, was made in a very mild and restrained manner.

I guess those who write the laws have a deeper brotherhood which transcends any political and ideological differences they have. Because, let's face it, the law is the law. And police are police. And to someone with a police state mindset, a violation of one law is no different than a violation of any other.

And that doesn't change just because the flag that's being flown is different.

DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

8)

wraith808:
On the whole political angle...

MPAA Directly and Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough to Stay Bought

TaoPhoenix:
Hmmm... shouldn't it be ammo, then jury?  ;)
-wraith808 (January 21, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're supposed to be ON the jury, not BEFORE it after the Ammo use!  :hanged:

Renegade:
I seem to remember there being "four boxes" without even the coffin ... Got it - y'all forgot Jury Box.

The four boxes of liberty is a meme that proposes: "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order." It is often quoted by conservative groups that oppose gun control."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_boxes_of_liberty

-TaoPhoenix (January 21, 2012, 03:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! Thank you for that reference. Haven't seen that before. :D

I suppose great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ. :P :D Not sure where I fall in there... ;D

I get the distinct impression "word" probably got passed back to the Big Players that Uncle Sam would greatly appreciate it if they downplayed the thing since the Legislature had already made what they no doubt felt was a conciliatory gesture by taking the bills off the table. Temporarily.
-40hz (January 21, 2012, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the part that irks me. They'll try to ramrod it down some other way. Probably in an idiotic bill that makes it illegal to not be on Prozac or some other anti-psychotic. "I'm out of Soma... Can I get one from you?"

Hmmm... shouldn't it be ammo, then jury?  ;)
-wraith808 (January 21, 2012, 10:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're supposed to be ON the jury, not BEFORE it after the Ammo use!  :hanged:
-TaoPhoenix (January 21, 2012, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1!

Did a bit of research here... Looks like Australians have already had most of their guns confiscated...

I wonder what society would be like if it were mandatory to carry a weapon... .380 autos for everyone. I bet muggings, assaults, and other violent crimes would just about disappear. Like who wants to try and rob a store when you know that everyone in there has a gun?

I suppose that you'd need to have a "gun check" at bars though. Guns & booze don't really mix very well. :P

(FYI - I'm just blathering nonsense there -- please don't anyone take me too seriously... But I am curious to know what it would be like...)

On the whole political angle...

MPAA Directly and Publicly Threatens Politicians Who Aren't Corrupt Enough to Stay Bought
 (see attachment in previous post)
-wraith808 (January 21, 2012, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think buddy boy actually does get it... "it" being:

If at first you don't succeed, bribe, bribe again. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version