ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

<< < (9/16) > >>

Deozaan:
Deozaan that would have been a clever image for a protest to mimic, but a true 404/etc in protest would have been "too thin of a message" and even savvy users wouldn't know it's not just one more site that didn't keep their site up.
-TaoPhoenix (January 20, 2012, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Some sites actually did return HTTP Error 503, which as I understand is something Google suggested (so that page ranking in search results wouldn't be affected like they would by Error 404, or something). The only one I know of specifically that did this is http://imgur.com/.

To anyone who tried to visit imgur.com, all they saw was an actual HTTP Error 503 and no information about SOPA/PIPA. If you didn't know it was SOPA Blackout Day, you might have thought imgur was just having problems that day.

That's exactly the "form of protest"  I disagreed with and thought was completely ineffective and pointless.

That said, if I'm being totally honest, I also wasn't completely impressed with the blackouts that did involve (links to) information about SOPA/PIPA.

40hz:
@Deo -  am I correct in guessing you're in the 16-29-year old population bracket?

Deozaan:
@Deo -  am I correct in guessing you're in the 16-29-year old population bracket?
-40hz (January 20, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

No need to guess. It's in my profile. ;)

40hz:
@Deo -  am I correct in guessing you're in the 16-29-year old population bracket?
-40hz (January 20, 2012, 08:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

No need to guess. It's in my profile. ;)
-Deozaan (January 20, 2012, 08:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

No fun if I did that. Besides, I feel it's more polite to ask rather than check up on someone.

I was just curious. Because your demographic seems to be somewhat dismissive of protest actions in general. (I've been running my own little social mores research as a hobby project so that's why I was curious.)
 :)

Renegade:
Protests are absolutely fundamentally amazingly good. :P

Ummm... That didn't quite sound right, but I think people will get the gist. ;)

Here's the thing... If you want to affect change, you have 3 basic options (in order):

1) The soap box
2) The ballot box
3) The cartridge box

We're in the #1 and #2 phase right now (in many places). Hopefully they will work and #3 won't be necessary (although #3 has been used in some places recently, e.g. Libya).

Protests fit into #1.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version