ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

DC going offline to protest SOPA on Jan 18

<< < (7/16) > >>

40hz:

Says it all really - and in calm rational terms
-Carol Haynes (January 19, 2012, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Carol - thanks for sharing that. Clay is one of the best on media topics. And that was yet another of his great presentations.

However, I still think we need to starve Big Media out of existence to eliminate their threat once and for all. But maybe that's because I'm a stepchild of the counterculture so I have limited patience with overly genteel protest seeing how badly it's worked in many other contexts.

Besides, writing or calling your representatives isn't very effective in societies where there is no real representation of the general public. Not to say you shouldn't. (Every bit helps.) But I still don't think it will be anywhere near enough.

So I still say "boycott."

But that's just me.  :)

wraith808:
They'll sneak it into an appropriation bill while nobody's looking during recess, because there's too much lobbyist money at stake for them not to.
-Renegade (January 19, 2012, 04:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is all too likely to happen.  And it won't be called SOPA, nor PIPA.  It will be called something benign and created not to call attention to what it really is.

...I hate the way the US Govt works sometimes...

Stoic Joker:
However, I still think we need to starve Big Media out of existence to eliminate their threat once and for all. But maybe that's because I'm a stepchild of the counterculture so I have limited patience with overly genteel protest seeing how badly it's worked in many other contexts.

Besides, writing or calling your representatives isn't very effective in societies where there is no real representation of the general public. Not to say you shouldn't. (Every bit helps.) But I still don't think it will be anywhere near enough.

So I still say "boycott."
-40hz (January 19, 2012, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

We need to get back to having a government that is afraid of its people, instead of this ass backward shit we got now. Boycotting is a good start but we really need to be sure they can be killed quickly enough to prevent them from striping our bones dry with more BS draconian legislation.

Stoic Joker:
Just a quick note/caution... The copy & paste somewhere along the line ended up encoding a dash incorrectly as a different kind of dash, which broke the script.-Renegade (January 17, 2012, 10:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Really? It worked fine for me as it was. I pasted the whole shebang into the header, ran a test with the (day before's date) 17th, and let it go. Site went down and then back up just as the code requested.

I suppose it is possible that the unicode editor I usually use (EmEdit) transparently fixed it for me. *Shrug*

tomos:
This is all too likely to happen.  And it won't be called SOPA, nor PIPA.  It will be called something benign and created not to call attention to what it really is.

...I hate the way the US Govt works sometimes...
-wraith808 (January 19, 2012, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

universal problem wraith...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version