ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Who's up for a DonationCoder talk show?

<< < (10/11) > >>

mouser:
We are scheduled to have our First Annual DonationCoder Poker Tournament on August 11th, 2012.  Perhaps someone would be willing to record a post-game talk show where we could talk about it.

superboyac:
I'll update on what's happened.  First, when I made this post, I had some free time and things were going smooth.  Since then, everything's gotten super hectic.  But really, I also had some technical difficulties, maybe you guys can help me sort it out.

I can record an audio-only session successfully, I think.  I was using icecast and some kind of funky freeware server setup.  I've reinstalled windows, so I have to remember what my settings were (pita).  What I really wanted to do was have a full video conferencing things going, where I can have a couple of windows for the live video stream, but also be able to show what's going on on my monitor.  So I bought this screencamera.net software from here when it was on sale at bdj:
http://www.pcwinsoft.com/screencameranet/download.asp

This is a virtual driver that is supposed to be able to fool windows into being an actual webcam driver.  And you can put together a desktop as I described above: include the video stream, application windows, monitors, desktops...and you can lay them all out like in photoshop layers.  The problem is...the software sucks.  It's unsuable.  It's such a hack software.  Half of the functions don't work when clicked on.  It feels like an open-source program that's in the alpha stage.  I tried looking for alternatives, couldn't find any.

At work, I just started using Cisco Meetingplace, which works pretty well.  But it's a "corporate" solution, meaning it needs a corporate account and all that other needlessly expensive stuff.  I just need a virtual webcam driver that actually works well, or a video conferencing software that can also show desktops AND doesn't use the cloud.

But I can probably do a audio-only live recording using skype and icecast.

40hz:
It might be interesting to look at Jupiter Broadcasting's Coder Radio, Linux Action Show, and Tech Snap for some ideas of how this could work.

Multi-show co-host Chris Fisher is thinking about doing a pure audio show using an Airtime server to handle the automated broadcasting. Chris featured Airtime on a recent episode of the Linux Action Show. See it here.

He also mentioned an rather amazing free audio app called Mixxx that provides some very cool dual-deck DJ-type mixing, and recording features that would make it a natural for an audio show. It  interfaces directly with a Shoutcast or Icecast stream servers too.

Pretty sexy looking too:

I'm definitely gonna check the above out. (Oh bloody! That's one more project isn't it? ;D)

:Thmbsup:

superboyac:
Yes!  I'll check it out as well.  Actually, at one point I experimented the talk show thing with some dj tools like traktor, virtualdj, and another one.  What I found attractive was the flexible ways you could route the audio and control the volumes and stuff.

The other cool thing I actually do have working now is using the software Power Mixer in conjunction with my Peavey pc1600x midi controller, which is just a device with a lot of faders and buttons.  But I can control individual application volumes with the fader, which I thought would be helpful for a talk show.

superboyac:
Mixxx:
Boy, just the icecast feature is worth the "money" by itself if it works well.  The fact that there are pre-configured buttons and gui makes it unique.  As far as I know, there is only one other icecast software that has a gui, and even that took me a while to figure out what parameters go where.

Pretty sexy looking too:
-40hz (July 16, 2012, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Was that an intentional pun...miXXX?   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version